Simple and Inexpensive Home Defense (An Example) - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Simple and Inexpensive Home Defense (An Example)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 03:34 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 44 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Im a firm believer in a pump shotgun for home defense but as far as pistols go sometimes spending 200-300 dollars on a used pistol can be a good idea. For example I picked up a used sig p6 at my local gun store for 300 dollars great gun for self defense. I have a black powder pistol that I purchased for 200 dollars that I would trust more than a highpoint for home defense! 7 months ago a buddy of mine bought a highpoint pistol and it always jams. I dont believe you have to have an expensive gun to protect yourself but I think its worth it to spend an extra 100-200 dollars for something that your going to protect you and your family with.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

If I had to have a $139.00 handgun, I would make it a revolver and not a semi auto pistol.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:18 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmelEduardo View Post
Canis, if you want a "budget" shotgun.... go for a Maverick 88, is exactly the same Mossberg 500, in matter of fact, Mossberg owns Maverick... for less than $300 you can find a brand new Maverick 88 with 18" barrel....
What you have to look when buying a shotgun for home defense? a 18"-20" barrel... you need a short barel because it's easier to use INSIDE the house, more than 22" barrel will be dificult to maneuver in a hallway.... about the ammo... I like 23/4 buckshot #00... I think that is more than enough.
I for one like the Winchester Defender shotgun. 7rd capacity, changed out the forend to a Surefire 636FGA, added a pair of ghost ring sights. Added a pistol grip with stock.
I for one like the full stock instead of the folding stock. It is just more comfortable for me to use.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
...and a nice looking pistol.
That is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? I still think SGT should paint it safety Yellow and get a DeWalt sticker set for it.

It would be decent for home defense as you would not be the least bit concerned about bludgeoning the BG with it if it came down to it. Imagine the shame in prison when they found out he was pistol whipped with a hi-point.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

A deal is always nice but when it comes to firearms, always get the best you can afford. If I only had $188.00 to spend on a firearm, it would be a revolver. OOOps looks like I already responded to this 2 months ago.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawth View Post
That is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? I still think SGT should paint it safety Yellow and get a DeWalt sticker set for it.

It would be decent for home defense as you would not be the least bit concerned about bludgeoning the BG with it if it came down to it. Imagine the shame in prison when they found out he was pistol whipped with a hi-point.
You do have a point, had to look at the picture and imagine it painted yellow with the DeWalt sticker. It would look like my drill I have at work. NOW that is funny.

Yet getting shot (if it works) by the Hi-Point would still hurt. I have heard that they are not that reliable. I have never been that desperate to own one. But any gun would do in a pinch till you can get a better one.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #27

I bought a used C-9 for $100 as a "test" first weapon and home defense weapon.
I figured if It didn't work well or I didn't like it I could trade it back in. Never needed to.
Not only was it a blast to get back into shooting with, but has been very reliable since owning. I liked it so much I bought a new 995TS carbine.

Yes, I have newer and more expensive pistols but this one does the job.
People aren't bashing hi points any where near the way they use to.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:19 AM   #28

Just don't tell anyone if you get a Taurus PT1911.....the Taurus bashers are horrible but the gun itself is fantastic.
$600 delivered from Bud's and it went through the first 500 rds I fed it without so much as a hiccup.
I love it.

index.php.jpg  

(What would John Moses Browning do?)

Old 11-03-2009, 05:11 AM   #29
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawth View Post

Nice looking is a comparitive thing. It is a nice looking HiPoint and Miller claims it shoots as good as in the same class. I believe your HD firearm is the same one you carry everyday. If you don't carry then you should take the measures required to do that then you will understand a HD firearm should fit your need daily, not for the unexpected possibility.

MHO, a gun in the drawer doesn't provide safety. A quality firearm, training and practice, practice and more practice provides that. Anything else may as well be baseball bat or a solid escape plan.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:19 AM   #30

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I bought a maverick 88 with the 18" barrel and then changed out the stock to a AR style . I have all of 240.00 invested in this little 12ga as a home defense weapon for my wife. I have her set up with 00 in a ready clip on the weapon itself. Nice little shotgun easy for her to manage and use in the house if God forbid she should ever need it. For home defense and even playing on the weekends I have to say I am very happy with this set up.