Simple and Inexpensive Home Defense (An Example) - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Simple and Inexpensive Home Defense (An Example)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I'm surprised the Hi-Point haters have not chimed in yet. If you are looking at Hi-Point, I would suggest the .45, just for the extra punch. They are a little more than the 9mm or .380 and the ammo is more $. An HD-Pack from Hi-Point come with a hard case, laser, holster and a Ka-Bar folding pocket knife. The .45 HD-Pack will set you back about $220.00 or so.

Nice report, SGT as always.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

There are less comments by Hi-Point haters because of the fact that they are being proven as a decent deal for the low amount of money spent.

I will be the first to say that the Hi-Point isn't the best thing since the 1911 / Sig / Sprinfield (And it never will be).

BUT......for the measly 150 dollars (on average), it is a damn good weapon!

I had my times in the past when I doubted the Hi-Point due to varying reasons. The more I learned the better educated my opinion became. I can say now that I know this brand of weapon inside out.

The funnest thing I always laugh at is the trend of comparing a Hi-Point to a Glock / Sig / Springfield / insert other 500 dollar plus gun here.

The first thing I say to those people is this:

Saying your Glock beats out a Hi-Point is like saying "Hey! I just won a race...............against a tree!"

The Hi-Point is competition for the other pistol maker in it's price bracket, which is Cobra Arms.

Think about it. Would you compare something like a Kimber to a Nighthawk? Nighthawk is truly custom made, and the Kimber is only "custom" in the academic sense. They are still rolled off a factory line in all their MIM glory.

There is also this little phenominon I encounter on a regular basis:

If a Hi-Point jams: "ZOMG! Your Hi-Point really sucks bad. They are such junk. You should throw it away. It'll blow up in your face, dude!"

If a Glock / Kimber / etc jams: "Dude chill! It's just a break in phase. I don't care what you say, because my pistol still rules all!"

Old 08-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Well put, SGT. I have said here many times that I would not carry a Hi-Point because of the weight and bulk. It is not my first line of defense. It is not any of those things because I have other options. It does go bang and it is accurate for a fixed barrel semi.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniswalensis View Post
I am not a gun owner, but I have been considering one for home defense, and hanging out here with all you good folk has got me thinking about it more than ever.

I was really planing on getting a shotgun though. It seems to me that they are more intimidating, easier to hit your target with, and the shot will be less likely to penetrate the walls of my home and hit innocent people.

Sarge, are there advantages to having the set-up you show over a shotgun?

How does everyone feel about shotgun vs. handgun for home defense?

If I went with a shotgun, what is a good basic one to bye for home defense? What sort of shells should I use?

Regards, Canis
In my opinion there is no better man stopper than a shotgun but the down side that i've come to realize about having a shotgun for home defense over a pistol is that when the neighbor or family or police knock on your door you cant answer holding a long gun without scaring the hell out of someone, but you can answer with your pisol still in holster which they wont see. Might want to keep that in mind. You could always get a pistol and a shotty so you can answer any home defense situation

Old 08-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by young gun View Post
In my opinion there is no better man stopper than a shotgun but the down side that i've come to realize about having a shotgun for home defense over a pistol is that when the neighbor or family or police knock on your door you cant answer holding a long gun without scaring the hell out of someone, but you can answer with your pisol still in holster which they wont see. Might want to keep that in mind. You could always get a pistol and a shotty so you can answer any home defense situation
I had not thought of this. Thanks for the input.

Canis

Old 08-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Nice post sarge, but hi-points are just butt ugly and look like an 18v drill. Heavy, ugly, mostly reliable, difficult to clean, cheap gun worth every $150 you pay for it.

I'd prefer the 995 from hi-point and would not suggest using one for a primary home defense weapon if you have something else.

Shotguns are great for home defense except the maneuverability factor. You can't use a shotgun and dial the phone at the same time either.

Also, I don't like to use 'tacticool' weapons for home defense. Like it or not there are leeches out there that call themselves lawyers that would have a field day while parading your 'evil black shotgun made for killing' shotgun around infront of a jury.

Besides, this works just as well.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:40 AM   #17

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ultimately, you are talking about hitting a silhuoette or pie plate sized target within the confines of your home. Unless you've got a really big, big, big home, you should be able to manage hits. I was a little put off by the size of the Hi-Points that I handled at a gunshow. However, they should be perfectly adequate for most people.

I went with a Smith and Wesson SW9VE. It was $359. S&W sent me a $50 rebate and 2 additional magazines (probably worth another $50). I feel that is an almost unbeatable value. I'm very happy with my purchase and I'm glad to have something for home defense. Unfortunately, with the recession kicking my butt, it'll be a little while before I can blow $800 or more on a pistol, buy gobs and gobs of ammo, and return to the range in earnest.

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Old 08-11-2009, 03:28 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Very good post. Apprecieate the video.... Well done.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:35 AM   #19
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

SGT Miller that isn't the Hipoint you brought home. Tell everyone what you did to it do be a trusted shooter and a nice looking pistol.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:59 AM   #20

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Hogue Hand-All grip: $19.99

Krylon flat tan heavy duty paint: $4.95

The only two things I did that helps with the feed reliability and operations are I polished the feed ramp with 220 grit (fine) sandpaper to take the paint from the factory off, and I used the same sandpaper to smooth out the bottom of the slide (sometimes the actions can feel slightly "gritty").

You don't need to do this in order for the gun to run well. I just did it because I view this gun as my "tinkering" gun. I will soon purchase a Bushman stainless steel trigger, and I will do some "fluff and buff" to the trigger assembly to smooth it out a little better. I did some initial buffing to the assembly already, and I have a pretty consistent break for a cheap trigger system.

This guy put Bushman triggers on his two Hi-Points. They look much better than the stock version, that's for sure.

It also helps that I have close to 1000 rounds through it, and all the parts are well worn in.

P.S. I would love to do a 1000 round torture test to see how far the thing will run. If it somehow did good, I would post it up on youtube and piss some people off.....lol.