Simple and Inexpensive Home Defense (An Example)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Simple and Inexpensive Home Defense (An Example)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Simple and Inexpensive Home Defense (An Example)

How many of you want to know what is a simple and very inexpensive choice for home defense? Well, if you are reading this, you're at least curious so here is one very sturdy (and controversial) example:

Pistol cost: $139.99

Extra Magazine: $12.99

Folding Knife: $15.00 (from pawn shop)

Standard 115 grain FMJ 9x19mm ammo: $14.99 (1 box of 50 rounds)

Soft Pistol Case: $5.99

Total: $188.96

Does the pistol work fairly decent? Yep, it sure does.

This is just one example out of a few that shows a simple home defense kit can be put together for very little cash. Don't be intimidated by all the expensive pistols out there, and the common advice that you need something upwards of 600-1000 dollars to perform the task of home defense. If you can afford something more "mainstream", do it. If all you can afford is something like above, then don't hesitate to get one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-08-2009, 04:47 AM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Cool

Nice SGT. It's true... you don't need a pretty good looking expensive set up... you need something that WORKS -period. And that is a capable and reliable set up. Nice post and nice video. Keep it that way.

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 08-08-2009, 05:24 AM   #3

Very nice. Now I just need more relaxed gun laws.

S.S.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This should be interesting...I expect the usual gang of HiPoint-bashers will be along shortly... Good post Sgt.! I hope it doesn't go the way of the last "discussion" on HiPoint firearms...but then again in one of the other threads I read that you put a lot of time into your HiPoint to make it "reliable" so maybe they'll cut you some slack...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-08-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #5

I am not a gun owner, but I have been considering one for home defense, and hanging out here with all you good folk has got me thinking about it more than ever.

I was really planing on getting a shotgun though. It seems to me that they are more intimidating, easier to hit your target with, and the shot will be less likely to penetrate the walls of my home and hit innocent people.

Sarge, are there advantages to having the set-up you show over a shotgun?

How does everyone feel about shotgun vs. handgun for home defense?

If I went with a shotgun, what is a good basic one to bye for home defense? What sort of shells should I use?

Regards, Canis

Old 08-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

A shotgun would be an excellent choice for a primary or secondary line of home defense. A 12 gauge Mossberg 500 pump would be a great choice. It is reasonably priced $250-350, and very reliable and depending on the model and bells and whistle accessories you might want to add. You can go tactical as well, instead of a hunting format. This one here is very similar to mine.

Jack

pics090.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #7

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Canis, if you want a "budget" shotgun.... go for a Maverick 88, is exactly the same Mossberg 500, in matter of fact, Mossberg owns Maverick... for less than $300 you can find a brand new Maverick 88 with 18" barrel....
What you have to look when buying a shotgun for home defense? a 18"-20" barrel... you need a short barel because it's easier to use INSIDE the house, more than 22" barrel will be dificult to maneuver in a hallway.... about the ammo... I like 23/4 buckshot #00... I think that is more than enough.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 08-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #8

At the risk of gently pushing this thread back on topic, well done and well-said SGT. When the zombies are at the door, ANYTHING is better than nothing, and Hi-Point firearms do the one thing that is necessary: work. Plus their warranty is pretty darn good too, in case any problems DO arise.

Just like you don't NEED a Ferrari to get to and from work every day, a firearm doesn't have to be pretty to save your life as long as it gets you from A to B in one piece.

Back on the shotgun thing, there's nothing quite like one for home defense. Often, "clack-CLACK" is more than enough to make a bad person not want to do bad things anywhere near you anymore...and if it doesn't, well, a healthy dose of buckshot will probably get you the last word in any argument.

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 08-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8845 Times on 3829 Posts
Likes Given: 1375

Good post. Would add- if you are truly strapped for cash- For years High Standard made their Flite King pump shotgun for Sears, under the JC Higgins name. The JC Higgins Mdl 20. There was a 12 g and a 20 g version. Last one I bought was in 90% condition, set me back $85. Add a box of buckshot and decent flashlight, and you are about $100.

Have a few of these- reliable, accurate, and the doves never complain I dropped them with a store brand shotgun.

Yesterday I was talking with an older neighbor (turns 85 next month) when a neighbor of his approached us in the parking lot, concerned that he had seen 2 coyotes in his cattle pasture- what should he do? Old gent looked at him, said "Man- what kind of farmer are you that don't own a gun?"

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #10

Liked 1978 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 1078

I've been looking at the HiPoints recently. I do think I'll pick one up in the future. Inexpensive and reliable. How can you beat it?