SILENCERS. which are the best? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > SILENCERS. which are the best?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrWray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,372
Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

The best ones that i have seen and "heard" are from Surefire.

__________________

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

MrWray is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:06 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
derek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Yea I know they only change the noise mostly and change the velociy of the bullet. Its gonna go on my hk 9mm usp. I'm looking at the evolution 9 from advanced armament.

__________________
derek is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 6,270
Liked 2105 Times on 1153 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Default

Be prepared for a long wait. I was told 6-8 months for the paper work to filter through the government red tape.

__________________

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

JTJ is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 502
Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Default

I am 3.5 months into my wait for an AAC Eco9. They are not in production anymore. During my search, Thompson Machine came up as a good budget suppressor. Ti-rant and Osprey are other good choices at a much higher price point. Just factor in that the Thompson suppressors do not include a booster to help cycle recoil based pistols.
People I have talked to who have Surefire suppressors liked them but agree they are very expensive for the performance.
Suppressors are new to my State so I have had little listen time. I was the fourth person in my county to get the CLEO sign off some four months after they were deemed legal.

__________________
msup752 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,745
Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Yea I know they only change the noise mostly and change the velociy of the bullet. Its gonna go on my hk 9mm usp. I'm looking at the evolution 9 from advanced armament.
Supressors do not change the velocity of a bullet. They only do that in movies and video games.

What they do:
Reduce felt recoil
reduce or eliminate muzzle climb
Reduce sound signature
well designed ones increase accuracy
Increase gas pressure in gas operated firearms
Reduce slide energy in delayed blow back operated pistols

Due to the reduced recoil energy most handguns need a nielsen device that attaches to the barrel then to the suppressor to get it to run. Any firearm that you want to suppress needs some sort of threading even integral suppressed ones
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,750
Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
I am 3.5 months into my wait for an AAC Eco9. They are not in production anymore. During my search, Thompson Machine came up as a good budget suppressor. Ti-rant and Osprey are other good choices at a much higher price point. Just factor in that the Thompson suppressors do not include a booster to help cycle recoil based pistols.
People I have talked to who have Surefire suppressors liked them but agree they are very expensive for the performance.
Suppressors are new to my State so I have had little listen time. I was the fourth person in my county to get the CLEO sign off some four months after they were deemed legal.
Same here I applied for a SBR and my CLEO told me this is only the second one they have ever done in the 25 yrs he has been there, the other one was for one of the other officers personal HD shotgun 11 yrs ago . I guess I should feel lucky .
__________________
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 502
Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Default

SBR's have not been deemed legal yet. As soon as they are, I'm adding a short AR in 300 Blk to my inventory. Other than that, I could care less about them.
Our NFA legality is by AG opinion. No laws are changing to make them legal. The constitution is very clear, NFA items are illegal unless all Federal requirements are met. Since NFA requirements have to be met to buy one anyway, they should all be legal. A previous AG said only Curios and Relic items qualified. Not sure how he figured that since C&R is not mentioned in the MI constitution. So one opinion at a time, NFA items become acceptable. So far it is AOW, full auto, and suppressors.

__________________
msup752 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrWray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,372
Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

Supressors do not change the velocity of a bullet. They only do that in movies and video games.

What they do:
Reduce felt recoil
reduce or eliminate muzzle climb
Reduce sound signature
well designed ones increase accuracy
Increase gas pressure in gas operated firearms
Reduce slide energy in delayed blow back operated pistols

Due to the reduced recoil energy most handguns need a nielsen device that attaches to the barrel then to the suppressor to get it to run. Any firearm that you want to suppress needs some sort of threading even integral suppressed ones
The Surefire that i seen used at training a few years back was a DC "direct connect" that attached to the flash hider of the M4. We were outside of an old middle school that we were using for training in the middle of town, the guy fired 3 shots into a mound and it sounded like an air rifle. Another friend of mine had a Sig 5.56 AR with an AAC blackout flash hider on it with an AAC "DC" suppressor. It wasnt "as loud" but to me it was still loud, he wasnt using subsonic ammo.
__________________

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

MrWray is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 502
Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Default

Air rifle sound from a supersonic bullet?
Surefire may build a good suppressor but at twice the price of AAC in .30 ($1995 vs $1050 MSRP) it is hard for many to justify. And that is for the cheapest Surefire vs an upgraded AAC (7.62SD). Plus the QD flash hiders are 25% more expensive than AAC.
I'm just comparing to AAC as an example. There are many good choices out there that are even cheaper!

__________________
msup752 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,745
Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
The Surefire that i seen used at training a few years back was a DC "direct connect" that attached to the flash hider of the M4. We were outside of an old middle school that we were using for training in the middle of town, the guy fired 3 shots into a mound and it sounded like an air rifle. Another friend of mine had a Sig 5.56 AR with an AAC blackout flash hider on it with an AAC "DC" suppressor. It wasnt "as loud" but to me it was still loud, he wasnt using subsonic ammo.
Ar15 are gas operated they dont need a nielsen device to cycle. Some of the sound comes back through the gas system its like silencing a revolver there is some leakage in a gas operated gun but not nearly as bad as a revolver.

It removes most of the boom. A lot of the noise you still hear is the crack of the sound barrier breaking and the operation of the action.

Ive got a surefire 308 suppressor in the works since september last year. Should have the stamp soon. I went surefire since the suppressor will eventually ride on a larue 308. I wanted one rated for very heavy use. I also like the surefire muzzle brake ive got one on my savage 10 fcpsr and that damn thing has recoil like a carbine length ar15 now!!

Ive also got a silencerco stainless sparrow 22lr suppressor for my ruger 22/45 that is one disgustingly quiet gun. Someone clapping is louder than that gun.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
silencers in WA deathkricket Legal and Activism 1 03-31-2011 04:19 AM
Got Silencers??? parinoid54 1911 Forum 16 03-30-2011 02:22 PM
silencers cattivo Gunsmithing Forum 1 10-16-2008 06:57 AM
[Silencers] CarCrash Semi-Auto Handguns 3 01-24-2008 11:44 PM
Silencers & Recoil BuffaloBill Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 0 07-16-2007 04:22 PM