Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Silenced Handgun

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Silenced Handgun

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I am new to shooting and have a somewhat limited knowledge about handguns.

I am also writing a novel and need some information about the use of silenced/supressed handguns. So the basic idea is that I am having a professional (merc/ex special forces yada yada yada) or whatever and he has to neutralise 3 people silently and with no mess. I was thinking maybe a Ruger MkII or a Silenced PPK.

Is it possible to have that as a silenced shot or will it still make a load noise and not have it create an exit wound?

Thanks
Chris

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can't really help on your question. Try going to Introductions and tell everyone a little about yourself.

SOUTHERN BORN CONSERVATIVE REDNECK AND VERY PROUD OF IT

ARMY 1970-1971 MP SGT Nam
Army 1976-1994 MP/CID Agent 1SG

Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

By the looks that what you wrote above. I would not even try writing a novel.

Oh yeah it is neutralize not neutralise. That would be the first thing you need to work on is SPELLING.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #4

Likes Given: 2

The closest thing to a "silenced" weapon would be a .22 w/ suppressor and sub-sonic ammunition. While you couldn't hear, say a suppressed 9mm, down the street, it would definitely wake someone up in the next room. The James Bond/Hollywood "silencer" sound effect is FAR from accurate.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 09-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris86 View Post
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I am also writing a novel and need some information about the use of silenced/suppressed handguns. So the basic idea is that I am having a professional (merc/ex special forces yada yada yada) or whatever and he has to neutralize 3 people silently and with no mess. I was thinking maybe a Ruger MkII or a Silenced PPK.

Is it possible to have that as a silenced shot or will it still make a load noise and not have it create an exit wound?

Thanks
Chris

Chris, I have already done this dude, using those weapons listed above and it is not that epic of a story to write a book on. A very famous man, ex SF and an old boxer, once told me: "It's what we do. You live for nothing or you die for something" and he had an epic career too, and I am pretty sure you have probably heard about his exploits. Now, if your serious, please go to the introductions thread and tell us a little about yourself and maybe we can help you out, Until then, I have nothing of value to add to this thread.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Maybe instead of kill the people he could bore them into a coma with yet another mercenary novel.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #7

Hey that's what my books about! Don't you steal my ideas.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
Maybe instead of kill the people he could bore them into a coma with yet another mercenary novel.
sorry, i have nothing useful to contribute to this thread, i just have to say that comment made me laugh...

Old 09-18-2009, 01:21 AM   #9

A Ruger MK II supressed with subsonic ammo would do the job, no noise if a contact wound and no exit. Proudly used in black bag jobs for many years .

Old 09-18-2009, 01:57 AM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris86 View Post
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I am also writing a novel and need some information about the use of silenced/suppressed handguns. So the basic idea is that I am having a professional (merc/ex special forces yada yada yada) or whatever and he has to neutralize 3 people silently and with no mess. I was thinking maybe a Ruger MkII or a Silenced PPK.

Thanks
Chris
Okay, you have had all the slings and arrows, here is some info you can work from.

There is no such thing as a "silencer" like you see in the movies. There is no thread on black can that takes your thunder magnum and turns it into a careless whisper.

Forget that idea all together.

The term, is a "Suppressor", because you are suppressing the round to below the speed of sound and suppressing the hot gas that is leaving the barrel.

The way a Suppressor works is in conjunction with a SUB-SONIC round of ammunition. You don't want the bullet to ever reach the speed of sound ( about 1100 feet per second ) because them it will create that telltale "CRACK!" that you hear.

However, that is only part of the problem, because the super heated gas that comes from the gunpowder also needs to be cooled before it is allowed out to mix with the room temperature air. That is where the Supressor comes in.

Basically, what you are doing, is adding a bunch of branches off the barrel for the gas to roam around in, cool down, and flow out the barrel slower and cooler than normal.

Think about a long hotel hallway. You have a hallway with 20 doors on each side, the rooms, and there is a window at one end and an elevator at the other.

The elevator shaft is like the magazine feeding a bullet up into the chamber - which is you in the elevator.

Now, imagine the second the doors open, the full force of a Hurricane is set off behind you and propels you down the hallway with all it's might.

That would be what it's like with a bullet in a barrel ( minus the rifling of course ).

Now, take that same scenario and open ALL the doors in the hallway.

As you are thrust from the elevator, the pressure behind you subsides as you pass each room, because the gale force wind is also swirling around in each hotel room, so the overall force behind you is lessened.

This is what is happening with a Suppressor - there are chambers that divert the gas, drawing pressure away from the bullet, lessening it's speed, and allowing the gas to cool before it finds it's way out the bore.

A "silenced" handgun of any caliber size, is still going to make racket when you fire it. But, it's a question of "disguising" the sound to make people think it's something else.

For instance, I happen to know that a single shot, from a sub-sonic .556 round, from a Suppressed AR, sounds pretty damn close to the sound of a guy using an electric nail gun to build a fence.

It's acoustic camoflauge - not the ability to hide like a Ninja.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 09-18-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Closed Thread