Sigma 9mm accuracy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Sigma 9mm accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sigma 9mm accuracy

So my wife and I went to the range for our first time last weekend with our new gun, the S&W sigma 9mm. We had a blast, but as to be expected our accuracy left something to be desired. My groups were about 6" but I was shooting about 6" lower then I was aiming at 25'. My wife was grouping closer to 8-10" and shooting slightly lower and to the right then I was. I understand that with time and practice we will get better, but I have been thinking about this all week and am wondering if the heavy trigger pull on the sigma could be causing us to pull the barrel down while we are firing. If this is a likely cause, does anyone have suggestions on how to correct our mistakes? My wife is against altering the gun by having the trigger pull lightened, and it's basically her gun because she likes it so much and It gives me a reason to get a nicer .40 cal for myself down the road. It was easy enough to aim higher to shoot where we wanted, but I would much rather shoot where I intend to shoot. It would also be nice if someone knew of a good website that had info on shooting techniques and pointers. I find that I love reading up on stuff like that!

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Shooting Lower could be a result of the Heavy trigger. Get some Snap Caps and practice trigger squeeze. Then the more you practice with it the Easier it will become.
Remember it has about a 10# trigger. With time you will get used to it, so just keep shooting and shooting.

Is she Left Handed?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #3

No she's Righty like me. I've heard that you could make your own snap caps by punching the primer out of spent casings and filling it with silicone. Is that true?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5150 View Post
So my wife and I went to the range for our first time last weekend with our new gun, the S&W sigma 9mm. We had a blast, but as to be expected our accuracy left something to be desired. My groups were about 6" but I was shooting about 6" lower then I was aiming at 25'. My wife was grouping closer to 8-10" and shooting slightly lower and to the right then I was. I understand that with time and practice we will get better, but I have been thinking about this all week and am wondering if the heavy trigger pull on the sigma could be causing us to pull the barrel down while we are firing. If this is a likely cause, does anyone have suggestions on how to correct our mistakes? My wife is against altering the gun by having the trigger pull lightened, and it's basically her gun because she likes it so much and It gives me a reason to get a nicer .40 cal for myself down the road. It was easy enough to aim higher to shoot where we wanted, but I would much rather shoot where I intend to shoot. It would also be nice if someone knew of a good website that had info on shooting techniques and pointers. I find that I love reading up on stuff like that!

Thanks!
Hey Mike,
I bought a used S&W Sigma in 9mm. I bought it as my very first gun. I took it to the range immediately and when I pulled the trigger I thought, "Wow, what did I buy?". I talked to the people at S&W and they told me to send it in and they would take a look at it. It came back in much better condition than it was when I bought it and the trigger felt better, however, while the gun was gone I began talking to the guys at the range I use and one of them said to bring it in after it came back and he'd put a 3.5 lb trigger in it. I took it over to him and after he switched the trigger out it was much better. At the very least I felt like I knew when it would fire as opposed to when I first got it and had no idea when it would fire. At times it felt like I had been there for an hour waiting for the bugger to fire, kept pulling the trigger and pulling more, well, you know the problem.
After all that I found a guy who said he'd give me $150 for it, I only paid $200, so I took the deal. I then ordered a Glock 19, everyone said it's the best CC gun around.
At the end of the day, knowing what I know now, I wish I hadn't sold the Sigma, there's nothing wrong with that gun. But, I really like my Glock also and it carries 15+1 rounds but I have heard that S&W sells a 15+1 magazine now.
The Sigma is great gun for a beginner to work with, I think that today you can a NIB for $300 with rebates so it's really not a big investment but, it will help a beginner understand what the do & don't like about a handgun, and, ammo is readily available.

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Last edited by jackg; 04-03-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackg View Post
Hey Mike,
I bought a used S&W Sigma in 9mm. I bought it as my very first gun. I took it to the range immediately and when I pulled the trigger I thought, "Wow, what did I buy?". I talked to the people at S&W and they told me to send it in and they would take a look at it. It came back in much better condition than it was when I bought it and the trigger felt better, however, while the gun was gone I began talking to the guys at the range I use and one of them said to bring it in after it came back and he'd put a 3.5 lb trigger in it. I took it over to him and after he switched the trigger out it was much better. At the very least I felt like I knew when it would fire as opposed to when I first got it and had no idea when it would fire. At times it felt like I had been there for an hour waiting for the bugger to fire, kept pulling the trigger and pulling more, well, you know the problem.
After all that I found a guy who said he'd give me $150 for it, I only paid $200, so I took the deal. I then ordered a Glock 19, everyone said it's the best CC gun around.
At the end of the day, knowing what I know now, I wish I hadn't sold the Sigma, there's nothing wrong with that gun. But, I really like my Glock also and it carries 15+1 rounds but I have heard that S&W sells a 15+1 magazine now.
The Sigma is great gun for a beginner to work with, I think that today you can a NIB for $300 with rebates so it's really not a big investment but, it will help a beginner understand what the do & don't like about a handgun, and, ammo is readily available.
So what exactly made you think something was wrong with the gun before you sent it in, and what felt better when you got it back? I've read about the trigger job, but I am still trying to convince my wife that it's a good idea. She feels that because the gun does not have a mechanical safety switch that the hard trigger pull is a safety feature. While in a way she is right, we are both very new to guns and it's harder to convince her that proper handling and gun safety is more important then a switch. In time with enough nagging she may come around. After the trigger job, were you shooting more accurately?

Old 04-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you keep shooting it, it will be an after thought. I have my Sigma in .357sig and have done nothing to the trigger except shoot, I have no issues with accuracy. I use this as my everyday carry weapon.

Shoot it and shoot it often and you groupings will be fine.

Do you hit in center mass of target? Then that is good enough. You don't have to be able to place each shot through the same hole. May impress people at the range, but in a defense situation can you hit the BG, all that matters.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

What Shihan said is absolutely correct. Do not expect the Sigma to be a one hole target gun as that's not what it was intended to be. The long heavy trigger was designed to be long and heavy - so practice will help...

Old 04-04-2010, 03:13 AM   #8

This was with my Sigma 9VE at 7 yards (5 shots). Had one guy on another forum criticize because it wasn't one hole. My Sigma has been great and the trigger will get better with use. Keep practicing and enjoy it.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This will help.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post

This will help.
Wow! This is awesome! Exactly what I was hoping to learn, I'm going to save this pic to my phone so I always have it with me in case I develop other bad habits! Thanks a lot!