Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Sight Picture at 20yrds+

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sight Picture at 20yrds+

So, I'm reading about people shooting tight groups without optics at ranges well in excess at 20 yards+. I have a question about that: If you are forming the sight picture by focusing on the front sight, how do you even see what you are shooting at? When my eyes are focused at something 4' in front of my eyes, by the time you get out to 60 feet, it's crazy blurry out there.

Is there something else to do when aiming without optics at these ranges other than just focusing on the front sight? Any tips I should know?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5458 Times on 2850 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Its practice practice practice. Focus only on the front sight. Refined detail of the target doesnt matter. I shoot a lot if rifle open sights and can often be sub moa at very long distances.

When using open sights at close range where the target appears bigger than the sight you have to center the target on the sight post. At longer ranges where the sight is bigger than the target you center the sight on the target. Basicaly bisect the bigger object with the smaller.

The most important factor in rifle or pistol is trigger control. Being able to repeatedly pull the trigger in such a way and smoothly enough the weapon doesnt move when the mainspring is released.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #3

Liked 213 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 15

At this point in my life I wonder the same thing. It use to be natural for me to be able to transfer my vision back and forth between the target and sights quickly. Now after some years of limited distance shooting with handguns I find that with my eyes now only can foucus on the sight or the target to hit center of mass. I do practice point and shoot ( not useing sites) out to 10 yards. And can stay in center mass with sites out to 25 yards well enough for defence purposes but NO bullseye matches with open sites any more. I have redots and my hunting handguns for tight groups.

Last edited by hardluk1; 09-17-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2756 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

I like contrasting sights to the target.
As Jon sez, concentrate on the front sight. Now keep the blurry target image the same for each shot.
The corners, the front sight distance from the top of the target, side to side distance of the front sight on the blurred target should be the same for each shot.
Just as the rear sight goes a little blurry and you have to keep the same sight picture to be consistent at shorter ranges, add the target.

But concentrate on the front sight.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Its practice practice practice. Focus only on the front sight. Refined detail of the target doesnt matter. I shoot a lot if rifle open sights and can often be sub moa at very long distances.

When using open sights at close range where the target appears bigger than the sight you have to center the target on the sight post. At longer ranges where the sight is bigger than the target you center the sight on the target. Basicaly bisect the bigger object with the smaller.

The most important factor in rifle or pistol is trigger control. Being able to repeatedly pull the trigger in such a way and smoothly enough the weapon doesnt move when the mainspring is released.
I havnt had good results with iron sight but I am going to try again because I am going to buy a Marlin 44 mag and dont like scopes on lever guns.So I focus the front sight and split the target in half?

Old 09-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #6

Liked 213 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 15

lonewolf101 For many that have a time with open sites and handguns can typicaly do ok with rifles sights. But if the rear sight is still a problem install a rear mount peep or gost ring.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #7

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I think the reason I've personally had better luck with this method using a rifle is because of the longer sight radius. It's harder when your dealing with a 3-5 inch sight radius.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
What he said, but especially this. Dry-fire practice will give you a HUGe advantage in your ability to make accurate shots.

And indeed, focus on the front sight!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5458 Times on 2850 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
I havnt had good results with iron sight but I am going to try again because I am going to buy a Marlin 44 mag and dont like scopes on lever guns.So I focus the front sight and split the target in half?
Split the target or split the sight whichever bigger. Its just one technique and my personal favorite. There is also balancing the ball technique where the bottom of the target is balanced on the post.

I prefer splitting and centering as you can get very precise results depending on your concentration level. Its very easy and it clicked for me one day reading the writings of marksmrn of the past and it was one of those ahhhaaa moments.

Not sure where you are in wisconsin but if your in driving distance and your up for it i would be happy to do some range with ya at some point

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...