Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Sight Picture at 20yrds+ (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/sight-picture-20yrds-48392/)

BarryNiven 09-17-2011 01:25 PM

Sight Picture at 20yrds+

So, I'm reading about people shooting tight groups without optics at ranges well in excess at 20 yards+. I have a question about that: If you are forming the sight picture by focusing on the front sight, how do you even see what you are shooting at? When my eyes are focused at something 4' in front of my eyes, by the time you get out to 60 feet, it's crazy blurry out there.

Is there something else to do when aiming without optics at these ranges other than just focusing on the front sight? Any tips I should know?

JonM 09-17-2011 01:44 PM

Its practice practice practice. Focus only on the front sight. Refined detail of the target doesnt matter. I shoot a lot if rifle open sights and can often be sub moa at very long distances.

When using open sights at close range where the target appears bigger than the sight you have to center the target on the sight post. At longer ranges where the sight is bigger than the target you center the sight on the target. Basicaly bisect the bigger object with the smaller.

The most important factor in rifle or pistol is trigger control. Being able to repeatedly pull the trigger in such a way and smoothly enough the weapon doesnt move when the mainspring is released.

hardluk1 09-17-2011 01:49 PM

At this point in my life I wonder the same thing. It use to be natural for me to be able to transfer my vision back and forth between the target and sights quickly. Now after some years of limited distance shooting with handguns I find that with my eyes now only can foucus on the sight or the target to hit center of mass. I do practice point and shoot ( not useing sites) out to 10 yards. And can stay in center mass with sites out to 25 yards well enough for defence purposes but NO bullseye matches with open sites any more. I have redots and my hunting handguns for tight groups.

danf_fl 09-17-2011 02:42 PM

I like contrasting sights to the target.
As Jon sez, concentrate on the front sight. Now keep the blurry target image the same for each shot.
The corners, the front sight distance from the top of the target, side to side distance of the front sight on the blurred target should be the same for each shot.
Just as the rear sight goes a little blurry and you have to keep the same sight picture to be consistent at shorter ranges, add the target.

But concentrate on the front sight.

lonewolf101 09-17-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 581652)
Its practice practice practice. Focus only on the front sight. Refined detail of the target doesnt matter. I shoot a lot if rifle open sights and can often be sub moa at very long distances.

When using open sights at close range where the target appears bigger than the sight you have to center the target on the sight post. At longer ranges where the sight is bigger than the target you center the sight on the target. Basicaly bisect the bigger object with the smaller.

The most important factor in rifle or pistol is trigger control. Being able to repeatedly pull the trigger in such a way and smoothly enough the weapon doesnt move when the mainspring is released.

I havnt had good results with iron sight but I am going to try again because I am going to buy a Marlin 44 mag and dont like scopes on lever guns.So I focus the front sight and split the target in half?

hardluk1 09-19-2011 03:55 PM

lonewolf101 For many that have a time with open sites and handguns can typicaly do ok with rifles sights. But if the rear sight is still a problem install a rear mount peep or gost ring.

trip286 09-19-2011 03:59 PM

I think the reason I've personally had better luck with this method using a rifle is because of the longer sight radius. It's harder when your dealing with a 3-5 inch sight radius.

Lindenwood 09-19-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 581652)

What he said, but especially this. Dry-fire practice will give you a HUGe advantage in your ability to make accurate shots.

And indeed, focus on the front sight!

JonM 09-19-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonewolf101 (Post 581687)
I havnt had good results with iron sight but I am going to try again because I am going to buy a Marlin 44 mag and dont like scopes on lever guns.So I focus the front sight and split the target in half?

Split the target or split the sight whichever bigger. Its just one technique and my personal favorite. There is also balancing the ball technique where the bottom of the target is balanced on the post.

I prefer splitting and centering as you can get very precise results depending on your concentration level. Its very easy and it clicked for me one day reading the writings of marksmrn of the past and it was one of those ahhhaaa moments.

Not sure where you are in wisconsin but if your in driving distance and your up for it i would be happy to do some range with ya at some point