Sig vs HK
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Sig vs HK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sig vs HK

Guys I am looking for some advice. I am interested in a 9mm for my first gun and am looking at the Sig p229 and the HK USP. Input is greatly appreciated.

John

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Either one would be a good choice. Really the only thing I can tell you is find out which one feels better in your hand.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

I'm a Sig guy, but I agree with the General.....whatever fits you best and feels right in your hand. Both HK and Sig make very high quality firearms, so you won't go wrong.

It would be best to find a range where you can rent both and try them out, but barring that, get to your local shop and handle both, have the guy at the counter show you how to do a quick field strip for cleaning. Then make up your mind as to which fits you and which you can handle the best. JMHO

Good luck, both are great firearms.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I like 'em both. Really depends what your buying it for. For HD both are fine. For a CCW I like the Sig. Will lay flatter for sure. For SHTF, the HK every time. Makes a better field gun, open carry. Imo.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 04-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 155

As biker said
I'm a Sig guy, but I agree with the General.....whatever fits you best and feels right in your hand. Both HK and Sig make very high quality firearms, so you won't go wrong.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another Sig guy here. The P229 is one of my favorite handguns.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 04-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have owned products from both.

My first purchase was a Sig P229 in .40 S&W

I also purchased an H&K USP Tactical in .45 ACP

The Sig is a fine weapon. I carried it, regularly, for years and I shot it at least twice a month. The grip was a bit wide, but form, fit and function were flawless. I ran everything in the world through that weapon and it always performed. Always went bang and I can't remember a single incident of a failure to feed or eject. I still have it to this day, though it's basically a safe queen at the moment.

The USP was an excellent, but wide and big, weapon. It was accurate and it featured a frame mounted manual safety that is 1911-esque in design. The trigger was variable, had different settings, but it ran with everything I ever fed it and it was accurate as the day is long.

The Sig has no safety, only a manual decocker, but it is a double action weapon that requires some pressure to ignite the first round.

Both have excellent resale value and both were incredibely reliable and accurate weapons.

I have no complaints about either one, except neither one "fit" when it came to my personal hand and shooting style.

The Sig is a wide handled weapon, but it was manageable. It did not feature a manual, positive safety however, and after time this began to bother me.

The H&K was a hell of a pistol. It garnered respect and "Can I shoot it?" at every turn when I went to the range. It was flawless with all sorts of ammo and it had a manual, frame mounted safety. The problem was the size of the monster!

I could not drop a mag, or hit the slide release without taking the weapon off line of my target. In a hot reload situation this was a mild inconvenience, but it was still not "right".

After several years I was introduced to an "old gun" by an "old friend" who was an IPSC and other competition shooter.

The 1911 became the pistol for me. There is nothing else that fits and feels the way it does in my hands. I no longer own the HK and the Sig is still in the safe as a keep-sake. But my 1911's see daylight on a regular basis.

The moral to this particular story is that you need to shoot with everything you are interested in buying and see if it "fits" you. Find a range that rents weapons and try as many as you can before you make such a purchase.

You will only benefit from the experience.

Good luck.

JD

Old 04-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I would choose the Sig every time. But you should choose whichever has the features and fit to suit you. As has been mentioned, both are excellent guns.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:23 AM   #9

Default HK 9mm USP Compact

I've tried lots of guns and lots of calibers -- at my age, disposition and skill level, the 9mm HK USPc keeps hanging in there as my go-to gun in any kind of SD situation I can imagine being in (as a civilian). As DA/SA I have flexibility, the safety-decock is one-control and very intuitive, the recoil is easy, the weight and footprint is fine, the accuracy is excellent, and it does not misfire (at least in first 15 years!). There should be some available used since HK is now promoting newer models.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:50 AM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Out of the two choices I'll lean to the Sig. But that's only because I like the fit better. Either will shoot just fine.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Newest Threads