Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Sig sauer 229 vs sp2022...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sig sauer 229 vs sp2022...

The two .40 caliber pistols are quite similar except for the difference in the materials. Is the the main reason for the nearly $300 price difference?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvonly View Post
The two .40 caliber pistols are quite similar except for the difference in the materials. Is the the main reason for the nearly $300 price difference?
The Sig P229 is one of the classics in the handgun world (along with the 220, 226, 228, etc.) where the SP2022 is just another plastic gun. Nothing wrong with them but when I think Sig - I think of the alloy framed P series. Their plastic guns, while decent, do not hold their value very well. My old beater P229 in .40 (have .357 Sig barrel as well)...

Old 04-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default sig sp 2022

I didn't buy my 2022 to "hold it's value." I bought it for an office gun, (works fine for that...) and to shoot at the range.

jeff

Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffxc View Post
I didn't buy my 2022 to "hold it's value." I bought it for an office gun, (works fine for that...) and to shoot at the range.
That's fine and all, but I can't imagine any reason why "holding its value" wouldn't be a huge selling point in any significant purchase.

The 2022 and P229 are weapons of an entirely different class in my opinion, and the difference in cost is warranted...although I'd probably only buy a P229 used or "on sale". MSRPs on the nicer Sigs are pretty steep.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Well, in the world of quality pistols you do tend to get what you pay for.

Not that Sig builds a low quality pistol, just that not all Sigs are created equal. Good example is the car world - costs more to buy a Mercedes than to buy that KIA. They both do the same basic job. In 15 years the Mercedes will still do the job comfortably and competently. As to the KIA, not so much.

I will always go with higher quality alloy frame rather than the polymer. The couple of ounces saved on weight isn't that big a deal and I know it is the best that Sig can build. I see the additional cost as peace of mind. JMHO and I know many would disagree, certainly their right and I won't argue the point.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvonly View Post
The material is the reason there is such a difference in price. Plastic is cheaper than steel. I personally would choose paying the extra money for the 229. I haven't shot the Pro 2022, however, I have fired it's predecessor, the Pro 2340. The deputies working for the Sheriff's Office in the county I work in were issued them. They hated them due to it being top heavy. This caused a sharper recoil, and snapping back of the wrist. Hands down, I would trust my life (and accuracy) on my Sig P229 over the Pro series.

"Go to college. Get an education. Understand the law, the profession and our constitution so you understand your responsibility to the people and the trust you are granted – and to stay true to it."
-Sheriff Dave Brown

"Guns don't kill people, it's the projectile flying out of the loud end of the gun at 1300 fps that kills them."
-ME

Work- Sig Sauer P229- .40 cal
Off duty- Ruger LCP- .380 ACP
Kimber Tact. Pro II- .45 ACP

LEO & Sup. Exec. Security Spc.