Sig magazine help, please!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Sig magazine help, please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sig magazine help, please!

I just recently added a Sig P226 Navy 9mm to my collection and have noticed something in the way the mags fit in the gun. The three mags that came with the gun do not fit flush with the bottom of the handle When it is secured in the gun there is still about a centimeter or so of "play" with the magazine. When I lock the slide back I notice the travel as well. Does anyone else have this issue? Is it normal with the sig or how do I fix this? Thanks guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Pics would help, but here's a few questions....

Are they factory brand mags (Sig/MecGar), or aftermarket?
What is the capacity of your problem mags?
Does the base pad hang out, or actually part of the body of the magazine?

If you order extra mags, go with the MecGar. I would expect most with a capacity of 15-18rds to fit flush. The 20-rounders will probably at least have an extended base pad.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #3

The magazines are the stock Sig Sauer 15 round magazines. The gun itself is a 15+1. I have tried to attach some pics describing my issue. I have owned Glocks and S & Ws and do not remember this issue. The Magazines fit flush in those handguns. In the first picture, the magazine rests as I explained in my frist post. In the other picture I am pushing the magazine flush with the bottom of the gun. I have tried with loaded magazines and unloaded magazines, neither fit perfect. Maybe I'm being over scrutinous but it seems tacky to me that the mag has play while in the gun.

2011-10-23_12-49-53_614.jpg   2011-10-23_12-50-42_327.jpg  

Last edited by Sigtastic; 10-23-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: 15 round magazine, not 17

Old 10-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3266 Times on 1810 Posts
Likes Given: 140

I have two 15 round magazines for my Navy, they both do the same thing. I got the gun from my ex boyfriend so I'm not sure if they were stock magazines or not, I'm fairly certain they are, they have Sig Sauer 9 mm stamped on them. I haven't had any problems with it.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I have two 15 round magazines for my Navy, they both do the same thing. I got the gun from my ex boyfriend so I'm not sure if they were stock magazines or not, I'm fairly certain they are, they have Sig Sauer 9 mm stamped on them. I haven't had any problems with it.
Thanks for the info. I haven't had a chance to take this gun to the range yet, but was concerned about loading malfuncions because of the travel in the magazine!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3266 Times on 1810 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigtastic View Post
Thanks for the info. I haven't had a chance to take this gun to the range yet, but was concerned about loading malfuncions because of the travel in the magazine!
I love shooting mine, it was my first pistol. Like I said, haven't had any problems with it, it chambers the next round fine and I can shoot anything in it. Have fun.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I don't know about the Sig, but I've seen other pistols with a little play in the mag, particularly when it is empty. With the slide in battery & a full mag, it usually deminishes or goes away completely. The test is how your pistol feeds at the range. Load mag, insert mag, chamber round & pull trigger (in a safe direction of course) & repeat as necessary. Main thing is be safe & have fun.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:03 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

My routine CCW is a P226 and your pictures show a properly seated magazine.
Your 15+1 mags are Sig. The are made for Sig by MecGar. If you want, feel free to order in the 18 rd mags made by MecGar. I have 3 and they work flawlessly, as they should. They also fit the same way, just 3 rds more.

The lower picture looks like you are forcing the magazine in tighter.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #9

Yes, I was pushing the magazine in the rest of the way in the bottom picture. Thank for you info and I'll take your word on it. The MecGar mags have been hard to come by at what I think is a reasonable price, but as soon as I find them I will pick them up. Lucille (my sig) and I have a range date Thursday, should be a lot of fun!

Old 10-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigtastic View Post
The MecGar mags have been hard to come by at what I think is a reasonable price, but as soon as I find them I will pick them up.
Follow this link for P226 Mecgar AFC (anti-friction coating...my own preference) mags for $25-30. If you're looking for a better price than that, prepare for an indefinite wait.