Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Sig help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sig help

Well, the search for a handgun is almost over. I have been going to a not so local shooting range and trying out some different handguns. The battle was between a Sig and Glock. After shooting with both guns, both being a 40 caliber, I have decided that I want a Sig. The handle is so much more comfy. The Sig I was using was a P226, very very sexy gun. Not a bad recoil, a little heavier in weight (which I like). Anyways, I'm still pretty new to this whole bullet caliber size. Was everyone as confused as I am when they first started getting into this stuff? Anyways, I have shot 9mm and .40 cal's. I'm not a big fan of the 9mm, I'm looking for something with more power.... Yeah, I'm a power hog. I know what you thinking, "can this guy handle it"...? Well, yes he can, I did very good for my first time out and even better my second and third. Anyway, I was hoping you guys could give me some insight. I have my eyes set on a Sig. I love the P226. I was wondering that if I get a bigger caliber gun, lets say the .45, would .40 ammo fit in it? Or .357? Or does only the specific ammo fit in its specific gun? I have been looking for a chart online with caliber sizes and what is bigger than what, what has more power, etc.. Basically how it all works.

Can anyone help me?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-05-2009, 02:01 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Well, if you buy a .40, the only thing your shooting out of it is a .40 and so on with every semiauto caliber.

Good choice with the 226. Thats a no-brainer against the Glock. There is nothing wrong with a .40, its what I carry daily. Others here will tell you to jump straight to a .45: to each his own. I suggest you keep your decision to get the Sig 226, and save the .45 caliber for when, and you will, get a 1911.

You can find all the info you could want with these links. Good reading, lots of info.

List of handgun cartridges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of rifle cartridges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Caliber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 AM   #3

My first pistol was a P226 in .40, so obviously I think that would be a fine choice. One thing you can do with the .40 Sigs is get a different barrel and magazine and convert it to a smaller caliber, which might be of interest for practice or in the event you can't find .40 for some reason but 9mm is still available. That said, I do recommend you practice a lot with the caliber you plan to use in a personal defense situation. You can easily convert a .40 Sig to 9mm (barrel + magazine(s)), or even .22 for some really cheap target practice (slide, barrel, magazine(s)).

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 05-05-2009, 03:51 AM   #4
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

All I will offer is you need to better understand firearms before you buy one. The reason for this is your question if you buy a larger firearm can you shoot a smaller cailber round in it. That tells me that you don't understand the basics and before you purchase a firearm please take the time to learn the basics. If you do this you will find the right firearm for you and learn to use it effectivly. Otherwise you will end up with a firearm that is no more effective than a hammer. Find a range that offers education, training and rental firearms. It is money well spent.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #5

A 226 in .40 is a great choice. I'd choose a 229 in .40 personally, but only because the frame fits in my hand better.

First handgun I ever used was a Sig 228 in 9m, nothing wrong with Sig weapons at all

I'll second what WDB said, however; take the time to learn the ins and outs of your weapon from someone who knows what they're talking about. Take a firearms safety class and listen to the people behind the counter at your shop

Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
All I will offer is you need to better understand firearms before you buy one. The reason for this is your question if you buy a larger firearm can you shoot a smaller cailber round in it. That tells me that you don't understand the basics and before you purchase a firearm please take the time to learn the basics. If you do this you will find the right firearm for you and learn to use it effectivly. Otherwise you will end up with a firearm that is no more effective than a hammer. Find a range that offers education, training and rental firearms. It is money well spent.
I have already signed up for classes at the range I have been going to.. Sooo excited

Old 05-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANOFSTEEL View Post
I have already signed up for classes at the range I have been going to.. Sooo excited
Excellent decision. You won't be disappointed with the P226. It is a fantastic firearm that will provide you with years of service and will also retain some value for you should you decide to move it in the future.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #8

Default p226 owner

ok so let me break it down for u. I own a p226 equinox in both .40cal and .357SIG. When it comes to self defense, bullet size almost does not matter as compared to shotplacement and how well you can follow up on shots. Ur best bet is to try the .40 cal AND .357SIG barrels or even a 9mm will suffice, that is to say you can shoot whatever caliber comfortably and accurately. I started shooting a .40 cal and carrying one for self defense and it took me a long time to become proficient with shooting it, and then i found the .357 sig barrel. I seemed to me to kick a little more then a 9mm but almost equivalent to a .40. More snappy then pushy but extremely accurate and a beast of a handgun round. Find what fits your hand and shooting style the best and stick with it you will not be mad in the end.