sidearm for birds/rabbits while deer/elk hunting - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

sidearm for birds/rabbits while deer/elk hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

What about a Taurus Judge in a nylon shoulder rig of some kind?

Psalm 138:7

Old 11-16-2010, 01:37 AM   #22
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I was looking at a Ruger Single Six in 22/22mag today. 6.5" barrel and target sights. It looks like it would work well as a hunting sidearm.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSlinger View Post
What about a Taurus Judge in a nylon shoulder rig of some kind?
I looked into those seem like a bedside gun is about all its good for with such short barrels. I found a single shot 45/410 thats only $150 or so and it has a 10" barrel but i'd assume them to be heavy(your shoulder rig idea would eliminate any concern about weight) and hard to say how accurate it would be, wouldn't want to pepper the whole bird.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #24

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I know the Judge comes in different barrel lengths, the longest I'm not sure of. To long might hinder portability for a gun that size. A .22, with bird shot, and or, .22 HP. rounds my be the way to go. I understand you can get rather close to some of those birds. Besides, a .22 with a longer barrel in a shoulder holster wouldn't get that much in the way. Good luck. And, happy turkey day.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #25

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I was looking at a Ruger Single Six in 22/22mag today. 6.5" barrel and target sights. It looks like it would work well as a hunting sidearm.
I owned one of those a long time ago. Great little gun. One of the first rounds out, took a bunnie from about 15/20 yards. If I decided on a .22,for this type of work, that would be the one. Its just one more I regret getting rid of.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #26

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Get a Savage mark II with polymer stock and get the barrel threaded. Add silencer and subsonic ammunition your good to go. Really light weight, easy to through over your back on a sling. That would not scare any game at ALL!

Old 11-27-2010, 04:36 AM   #27

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Choosing between a Bearcat and a Single Six would be tough. Bearcat doesn't have adjustable sights (which I would want for small game killing) and the Single Six has the .22 mag diameter barrel so lacks a bit of the mechanical accuracy I would also want for head shots on small game. As afore mentioned, I have a Taurus Model 94, SS .22 LR. Shoots well, very light weight, I like it a lot.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #28

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

An important point.

At least in KS, there is a minimum caliber requirement for big game.

Any weapons carried while engaged in big game hunting must meet that caliber requirement.

our minimum is .23 diameter, 1.280 case length. the smallest you may carry is .357 mag.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #29

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If that were the case,I'd carry a Blackhawk in a shoulder rig, and have shot shells and HP. on me.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #30

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I once shot a ptarmigan with a CCI shot load out of my Super Blackhawk at a range of about 15 yds. The pattern disturbed the snow in about a 4' circle centered on the sitting bird. He shook off his feathers, glared at me and flew away. I think those things are best used on rats at extreme close range.