sidearm for birds/rabbits while deer/elk hunting - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > sidearm for birds/rabbits while deer/elk hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Browning Buckmark

I ordered a rail and scope for mine. I'm going to take it squirrel hunting after all the deer hunters leave the woods.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Of the .22s I own, my favorite is my Ruger 22/45. Someone at the range was asking me about it last season...he was looking for a gun for the same purpose you mentioned.

Ruger has a number of configurations. Browning Buckmarks are also very accurate.

What kind of range will you need it for?

I have used .22 shotshells in a revolver and in a bolt action rifle. They don't damage the rifling because the plastic that encases the pellets stays on until it comes out of the gun. The pellets are VERY small, though. And they spread fast because of the centrifugal force worked up by the rifling in the barrel. They work pretty well on snakes, but I've never tried them on game.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #13

Likes Given: 1

I have carried a Ruger Bearcat for just such purposes. It is a super little pistol, carries like it wasn't there and perfectly accurate out to 25 yd.s for foolhens, grouse and bunnies.

Hunters & Anglers: The first environmentalists are still the best!

Old 11-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
First, is it legal to carry more than one firearm when hunting in your area?
Second, is it legal to hunt small game during big game season?
Third, why in the hell would you want to use a pistol to hunt small game?
Fourth, are you serious that you will take several shots at any game to kill it?
Fifth, you ever hear of one shot one kill?
Sixth, as a hunter, I think your man card should be pulled for even hunting anything and not using the proper arm to humanly kill even the smallest game.
Seventh through tenth, WTF??
Obviously you are not a real hunter, your from ohio hunting whitetails from tree stands on hunting ranches. I bet you would feel stupid shootin grouse or rabbits from a tree stand but real hunters walk their happy ass around and shoot what they see, we do week long hunts when hunting deer/elk and its nice to come back with birds to eat while we're camping, if you dont know what camping is its when you go stay in the woods the whole time no city time sleepin in ur bed between tree stand visits.
To answer your "points"
FIRST, no your not supposed to carry 2 weapons at a time but a pistol is an exception since fish and game have never even brought it up while i'm standing there talkin to them with a rifle on my back and a pistol on my side.

Second, of course you can hunt big and small game at the same time since the seasons over-lap.

Third, i would shoot small game with a pistol because i'm not gunna haul a rifle and shotgun around with me at the same time.

Fourth, several shots to make a head/neck shot with my current pistol which was the point of my post if you could comprehend.

Fifth, every Big game animal i've ever killed has been one shot one kill, heart on the last one liver before that and lungs on the rest.

Sixth, it is legal to kill grouse with a sling-shot so a .22 pistol is overkill compared to that, do you shoot a .50 cal. at small game so that you can keep your "man card"?

Seventh through Tenth, yes you a gun fanatic and not a hunter. Go back to the hunting ranch city boy.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #15

nice lookin pistol tiger, its alot like the one i have but sounds like the bearcat would be more accurate, how much does that run? I was thinkin a semi-auto like a ruger mk II or III heard alot of good remarks about their accuracy and durability. But I could go for another revolver if I could find a fair priced nice one.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Brandon, I have an old H&R 929 .22 revolver. It is very light, and amazingly accurate with CCI Velocitors. They are also very affordable on the used market.

And I hunt like you do. In the woods for a week or more at a time. Spot and stalk. Though I do use an ATV to get from camp to hunting grounds because they are 25 miles from camp.

I always bring along a .22 rifle (Marlin 39A), and use it to collect rabbits and such for some variety.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #17

thanks for all the replies and opinions, decided i'm going to check out the ruger 22/45's as they look to be more in my price range and they sound to be good quality.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

While I carry a pre war Colt Woodsman most every trip to the woods, I would never shoot it while hunting elk. Scare an elk and he will take every elk on the the mountain and move them two counties away. Why anyone would shoot a rabbit while big game hunting is beyond me.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #19

When I am elk hunting I pack a .45 Ruger Blackhawk on my belt, but it is only a backup for the 7 mm mag, to finish off a kill, or ward off an angry cougar, bear, badger, etc.. Have not had to use it yet.
For the smaller game I pack a Sony Cybershot ,but hope to upgrade to a Canon Rebel soon.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 11-15-2010, 02:12 AM   #20

Likes Given: 1

You will probably like the ruger 22/45. I have a Ruger standard that I have carried at times in the field. A little heavier, but it should be plenty accurate. Some states have different rules on big and small game simultaneously. You can hunt either in GA, but I do wear dayglo when I am squirrel hunting during deer season. Some of the state WMAs are closed to small game during deer quota hunts, etc. Forest Service land -not in the WMAs - are open to both.
TB

Hunters & Anglers: The first environmentalists are still the best!