Should you clean new handgun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Should you clean new handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 04:11 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Some manufactures treat their guns with an anti-rust preservative, that is NOT a lubricant. I would recommend thoroughly cleaning and oiling any new gun before shooting.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:24 AM   #12

I have never purchased a new gun and not cleaned it before going to the range. I carry an SR9C every day and have approx. 500 rounds through it without any glitches. I find the preservative the factory has on the firearm is not much of a lubricant. The preservative being gooey can actually hold debris in it causing malfunctions. I thoroughly clean and lightly lubricate all friction points as specified by the manual. Dirty ammo can also cause suspect reliability. I also own a P95 and an LC9 and they are both 100% reliable. This is just what works for me.

Be safe.

Considering the consequences is never wasted time.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #13

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I know some that just put a couple drops of oil on the rails & shoot with no problems. I always clean & lube mine first because the gunk they ship them in can get sticky with heat & cause unwanted cycling problems. Also, if you get it hot enough, it can bake on & then it is really hard to get it off. But, if for no other reason, I just like to.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #14

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

As others have said, if you continue to have problems the. You should call Ruger's customer service line and tell the issues you are having. I have a SR9c and I had issues with mine when I first got it with the trigger not resetting for the next round. Called Ruger and they paid for shipping back to them, they fixed it, and paid for shipping back to me again. No problems since the.

In my opinion, you've experienced enough malfunctions to warrant a trip back to the factory for repairs. But that's just my opinion.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap
I am new to fire arms, i recently purchased my first gun. After tons of research. Took it to the range and was not so hapoy. I understand you need to run 200-300 rounds through it to break it in. A shoot 50 rounds in my new Ruger SR9C, out of 50 rounds i had (9) malfunctions. (5) light strikes/ no fire and (4) failure to extract properly. Should i have cleaned it before i took it to shoot???
Out of curiosity, exactly which ammo were you using when you had these issues?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just bought my wife one of these last week we took it home I cleaned it and we took it out a couple of days later to give it a go and the problem she is having is the trigger sometimes won't reset after she fires a round it will just lock back(the trigger not the slide) as if she fired her last round but there will still be a round in the chamber and rounds in the mag. I took it home and cleaned it again and took it back to where we purchased it today and this time with the 10 round mag it worked just find except the last round didn't chamber after she fired the round prior to it but when she put in the 17 round mag in she started having the trigger issue again

Old 01-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #17

Manufacturers always have their basic care instructions. What is the purpose of that when we don't clean our guns? i clean mine every after two days or it has been used to just prolong the "shelf life" of my toy. ;-)

Pabyang

Last edited by canebrake; 02-12-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Spam

Old 01-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good news on the Ruger SR9c, after a good cleaning and 250 more rounds it is perfect. I like it very much and did not want anyone to think the piston had an issue. The issue was me not cleaning a new gun and not having run enough ammo through new pisto. Works great now

Old 01-21-2012, 05:17 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think you have recieved the answer you are looking for so, I have little to add, You have to have confidence if this is to be the tool it is meant to be. keep us in the loop after the next trip to the range.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 01-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap
Good news on the Ruger SR9c, after a good cleaning and 250 more rounds it is perfect. I like it very much and did not want anyone to think the piston had an issue. The issue was me not cleaning a new gun and not having run enough ammo through new pisto. Works great now
How many total rounds have you put through it because my wife has about 200 through hers and still having the trigger sticking back issue. I just want to know about how many more I need her to put through it to get it just right. I have cleaned it every time we've been out to the range so I don't think cleaning is an issue...