Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Should you clean new handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Should you clean new handgun

I am new to fire arms, i recently purchased my first gun. After tons of research. Took it to the range and was not so hapoy. I understand you need to run 200-300 rounds through it to break it in. A shoot 50 rounds in my new Ruger SR9C, out of 50 rounds i had (9) malfunctions. (5) light strikes/ no fire and (4) failure to extract properly. Should i have cleaned it before i took it to shoot???

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Some people do some dont. Almost all good gun smiths will advise you to. I always do but im a gun smith so there you go

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #3

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Cleaning it before firing it will NOT cause any problems. However, the purpose of the 200-300 round break in period it to smooth out all the parts and get it operating properly. This is the time to find out about light strikes and failures to extract. Presumably, the break in will allow all the metal parts to wear in and function properly. All the little burrs that hinder both chambering and extraction will polish off and such.

If you ceased after the first 50 rounds and went home, fine. Clean the pistol thoroughly and go shoot it some more. Lubricating it won't hurt, either.

See how it works after you've run a couple hundred rounds through it. And don't just blaze away the ammo; practice sight picture and sight alignment and trigger control. Get in some decent practice.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 01-09-2012, 01:56 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am not an expert, but I always tend to take mine apart and give 'em a look see to make sure nothing is torn up. Then I clean the snotty gunky crap from the manufacturer out of it. Give it a good lube job and head out to the range. I like to take my cleaning kit with me in case I need to clean it during break in. ( Although I never have ). Take it home and clean it again. Always clean them after shooting. Good luck. Hope it clears it up. Ruger seems to be better than that.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMontgomery
Cleaning it before firing it will NOT cause any problems. However, the purpose of the 200-300 round break in period it to smooth out all the parts and get it operating properly. This is the time to find out about light strikes and failures to extract. Presumably, the break in will allow all the metal parts to wear in and function properly. All the little burrs that hinder both chambering and extraction will polish off and such.

If you ceased after the first 50 rounds and went home, fine. Clean the pistol thoroughly and go shoot it some more. Lubricating it won't hurt, either.

See how it works after you've run a couple hundred rounds through it. And don't just blaze away the ammo; practice sight picture and sight alignment and trigger control. Get in some decent practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeThis
I am not an expert, but I always tend to take mine apart and give 'em a look see to make sure nothing is torn up. Then I clean the snotty gunky crap from the manufacturer out of it. Give it a good lube job and head out to the range. I like to take my cleaning kit with me in case I need to clean it during break in. ( Although I never have ). Take it home and clean it again. Always clean them after shooting. Good luck. Hope it clears it up. Ruger seems to be better than that.
Good advice and ya rugers are usually good quality. Although they are kinda quarky at times....especially new

Old 01-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Gosh I hope you are all correct, i did kind of take my ball and go home. I was upset it had so many problems after i took 3 months to select my first firearm. I will clean it regroup and return to range to shoot a couple hundred rounds through it. I shoot a bit slow, really trying to learn form, sight line, pistol grip and slowwwww trigger pull. Was way to fast 1-2 months ago when trying out differnt pistols to buy. Swallowed my new guy pride and asked someone at my range to please help me. I got him and the interst of 4 others all willing to share knowledge with me. Very nice. I left the range with a new grip, chest ready position and a feeling the SR9C was for me. Still hoping that, i will wait and see. What do i do after say 300 rounds if i still have problems??

Old 01-09-2012, 02:15 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8392 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1293

If you have a new gun, and after cleaning and some initial shooting you still have problems, time to contact Ruger customer service through their website.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap
Gosh I hope you are all correct, i did kind of take my ball and go home. I was upset it had so many problems after i took 3 months to select my first firearm. I will clean it regroup and return to range to shoot a couple hundred rounds through it. I shoot a bit slow, really trying to learn form, sight line, pistol grip and slowwwww trigger pull. Was way to fast 1-2 months ago when trying out differnt pistols to buy. Swallowed my new guy pride and asked someone at my range to please help me. I got him and the interst of 4 others all willing to share knowledge with me. Very nice. I left the range with a new grip, chest ready position and a feeling the SR9C was for me. Still hoping that, i will wait and see. What do i do after say 300 rounds if i still have problems??
Call rugers qc guys and see what they will do for you. If not ask some of us by posting your EXACT problems in the gunsmithing forum.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:20 AM   #9

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap View Post
This is one of the reasons I've always sort of steered away from semi auto's.
Go ahead and go shoot it some more, after a little cleaning.
If you make it to and beyond 300 and your still having malfunctions, call the manufacturer.

And by all means, go ahead and shoot a bit slow. Just because your having malfunctions is no reason to not practice all the proper techniques as your talking about.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1722 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 545

My wife and I have a pair of SR9c Rugers. I cleaned them before firing. I had no issues on mine but my wife had a couple of miss fires due to a weak grip. Corrected her grip and no more problems. Your grip needs to be firm but dont choke it to death.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."