Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Should you clean new handgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/should-you-clean-new-handgun-55070/)

11Handicap 01-09-2012 01:48 AM

Should you clean new handgun

I am new to fire arms, i recently purchased my first gun. After tons of research. Took it to the range and was not so hapoy. I understand you need to run 200-300 rounds through it to break it in. A shoot 50 rounds in my new Ruger SR9C, out of 50 rounds i had (9) malfunctions. (5) light strikes/ no fire and (4) failure to extract properly. Should i have cleaned it before i took it to shoot???

Marlinman 01-09-2012 01:53 AM

Some people do some dont. Almost all good gun smiths will advise you to. I always do but im a gun smith so there you go

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

OldManMontgomery 01-09-2012 01:55 AM

Cleaning it before firing it will NOT cause any problems. However, the purpose of the 200-300 round break in period it to smooth out all the parts and get it operating properly. This is the time to find out about light strikes and failures to extract. Presumably, the break in will allow all the metal parts to wear in and function properly. All the little burrs that hinder both chambering and extraction will polish off and such.

If you ceased after the first 50 rounds and went home, fine. Clean the pistol thoroughly and go shoot it some more. Lubricating it won't hurt, either.

See how it works after you've run a couple hundred rounds through it. And don't just blaze away the ammo; practice sight picture and sight alignment and trigger control. Get in some decent practice.

DodgeThis 01-09-2012 01:56 AM

I am not an expert, but I always tend to take mine apart and give 'em a look see to make sure nothing is torn up. Then I clean the snotty gunky crap from the manufacturer out of it. Give it a good lube job and head out to the range. I like to take my cleaning kit with me in case I need to clean it during break in. ( Although I never have ). Take it home and clean it again. Always clean them after shooting. Good luck. Hope it clears it up. Ruger seems to be better than that.

Marlinman 01-09-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldManMontgomery
Cleaning it before firing it will NOT cause any problems. However, the purpose of the 200-300 round break in period it to smooth out all the parts and get it operating properly. This is the time to find out about light strikes and failures to extract. Presumably, the break in will allow all the metal parts to wear in and function properly. All the little burrs that hinder both chambering and extraction will polish off and such.

If you ceased after the first 50 rounds and went home, fine. Clean the pistol thoroughly and go shoot it some more. Lubricating it won't hurt, either.

See how it works after you've run a couple hundred rounds through it. And don't just blaze away the ammo; practice sight picture and sight alignment and trigger control. Get in some decent practice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DodgeThis
I am not an expert, but I always tend to take mine apart and give 'em a look see to make sure nothing is torn up. Then I clean the snotty gunky crap from the manufacturer out of it. Give it a good lube job and head out to the range. I like to take my cleaning kit with me in case I need to clean it during break in. ( Although I never have ). Take it home and clean it again. Always clean them after shooting. Good luck. Hope it clears it up. Ruger seems to be better than that.

Good advice and ya rugers are usually good quality. Although they are kinda quarky at times....especially new

11Handicap 01-09-2012 02:12 AM

Gosh I hope you are all correct, i did kind of take my ball and go home. I was upset it had so many problems after i took 3 months to select my first firearm. I will clean it regroup and return to range to shoot a couple hundred rounds through it. I shoot a bit slow, really trying to learn form, sight line, pistol grip and slowwwww trigger pull. Was way to fast 1-2 months ago when trying out differnt pistols to buy. Swallowed my new guy pride and asked someone at my range to please help me. I got him and the interst of 4 others all willing to share knowledge with me. Very nice. I left the range with a new grip, chest ready position and a feeling the SR9C was for me. Still hoping that, i will wait and see. What do i do after say 300 rounds if i still have problems??

c3shooter 01-09-2012 02:15 AM

If you have a new gun, and after cleaning and some initial shooting you still have problems, time to contact Ruger customer service through their website.

Marlinman 01-09-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Handicap
Gosh I hope you are all correct, i did kind of take my ball and go home. I was upset it had so many problems after i took 3 months to select my first firearm. I will clean it regroup and return to range to shoot a couple hundred rounds through it. I shoot a bit slow, really trying to learn form, sight line, pistol grip and slowwwww trigger pull. Was way to fast 1-2 months ago when trying out differnt pistols to buy. Swallowed my new guy pride and asked someone at my range to please help me. I got him and the interst of 4 others all willing to share knowledge with me. Very nice. I left the range with a new grip, chest ready position and a feeling the SR9C was for me. Still hoping that, i will wait and see. What do i do after say 300 rounds if i still have problems??

Call rugers qc guys and see what they will do for you. If not ask some of us by posting your EXACT problems in the gunsmithing forum.

trip286 01-09-2012 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Handicap (Post 671556)

This is one of the reasons I've always sort of steered away from semi auto's.
Go ahead and go shoot it some more, after a little cleaning.
If you make it to and beyond 300 and your still having malfunctions, call the manufacturer.

And by all means, go ahead and shoot a bit slow. Just because your having malfunctions is no reason to not practice all the proper techniques as your talking about.

JTJ 01-09-2012 02:29 AM

My wife and I have a pair of SR9c Rugers. I cleaned them before firing. I had no issues on mine but my wife had a couple of miss fires due to a weak grip. Corrected her grip and no more problems. Your grip needs to be firm but dont choke it to death.