Which Should We Buy Next ? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Which Should We Buy Next ?

View Poll Results: Which Gun?
S&W 627 / 327 / 327 TRR8 / M&P R8 0 0%
S&W 360pd / 360 0 0%
S&W 317 / 617 / 63 / 43c 1 8.33%
a 1911 in .45 ACP 9 75.00%
Recommendations ? 2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 938 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Cool. Multi-purpose. I bet being trapped in there during a tornado with all those guns wouldn't be THAT bad….

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

orangello Likes This 
Old 02-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If you have other 9mm's, what about a 9mm carbine for plinking fun; it's not quite a rifle, not quite a handgun?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=396263117
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=396770491

$200 + a chop saw and it's even closer to a handgun.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Cool. Multi-purpose. I bet being trapped in there during a tornado with all those guns wouldn't be THAT bad….
Maybe I should keep a 12 pack of Coke Zero's and a half gallon of bourbon in there in case its a few days before the dig me out. I will be in a 10'x10' room with my wife for ever how long and we both might need a drink.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

JW357 Likes This 
Old 02-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #34

Liked 385 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post
Not exactally. I have $??? worth of guns hanging on a board in a vault with 8" concrete walls and steel with 6" of concrete ceiling, a dehumifier and heater that keeps the humidity at a steady 35% and temperature at 75 degrees with long guns in racks along 3 walls, in a unfinished basement which I prefer to refer to as the man cave. Oh and the metal cabinet with double locks is my ammo locker. Want the rest of the tour?
Mother of god.....did you see that scene in the movie "Tremors" and say "hey, I think I can out-do that guy"? Holy crap that's a serious collection. Jealousy has reared its ugly head.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post
Maybe I should keep a 12 pack of Coke Zero's and a half gallon of bourbon in there in case its a few days before the dig me out. I will be in a 10'x10' room with my wife for ever how long and we both might need a drink.
Maybe you should keep just one bullet in there.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #36
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3077 Times on 2089 Posts
Likes Given: 657

And I thought My Uncle had a Lot of Guns when I was Growing Up....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 02-28-2014, 01:34 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

So, to address all the recommendations I haven't touched on yet:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1D2 View Post
bersa thunder 380 ... LCP ... Colt 1911A1 ... Beretta M9 ... desert eagle
- Will probably never own another Bersa. I'm glad yours has worked out for you. Also we aren't fans of the .380 ACP.
- We've shot my mother-in-law's LCP. Not a fan. Way uncomfortable to shoot. Hard to rack the slide, even for me.
- Colt 1911A1 is a definite possibility
- We will probably own a Beretta M9 or 92 someday. I like that gun, despite it being a bit large in my hand. But it probably won't be our next purchase.
- Desert Eagle ... I have no desire. It doesn't fulfill any purpose I would ever need out of a gun. Its too expensive to plink with (I guess I could reload for it). Its way too big for CC. I guess I could OC it. I wouldn't even use it as a safe gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
redhawk ... lcr 357 ... xdm in 45acp or 9mm

For 1911's I'm pretty fond of colts and springfield is turning out some realllllllly nice guns lately.

For 22lr the ruger 22/45 is the hands down best there is.
- Redhawk... Maybe someday. Probably not this purchase though. No particular reason why though. Just not feelin it right now.
- I used to want an LCR in .357. I might still someday, if they make the LCRx in .357, I would probably snag that one up. Lately I've been wanting my carry revolver to be DA/SA
- My wife and I almost bought an XDm in .40 when we ended up buying the Taurus instead as our first gun. We would rather have bought the XDm, by a landslide, but SC wouldn't sell to me. There weren't any gun stores near me in NC that had them. Now that I've shot the M&P line, though, I probably won't be getting an XDm.
- We both love Colt 1911, and I've also looked at the Springfield line. Both are definite contenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Sig P938.
- I love the size and feel of this gun. If I were looking for a semi-auto for pocket carry, this would definitely be on the short list. It basically is already on the short list. But the one big thing for me is the thumb safety. I just don't know if I feel like training on it enough to be very proficient with it as a carry gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
DA 44 Like the REDHAWK
- Again, maybe someday. Probably not this purchase though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
9mm carbine
- It would be a lot of fun, and I would love one. Not quite what we're looking for right now though. Add one more to the "somdeday" list.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. For those who bothered voting in the poll it looks like a 1911 is the winner right now. I'm surprised no one is voting for any of the S&W wheel guns.

Keep those suggestions coming.

Always have clean socks.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #38
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3077 Times on 2089 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Then maybe a Beretta PX-4 & CX-4 combo???

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

orangello Likes This 
Old 02-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2719 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 1540

JW - I've held off on voting because you listed several new S&W revolvers. I was going to recommend waiting 'til you found an older J-Frame, Model 19 or 586, all pre-lock. They are my fav. S&W's but, they're hard to find these days at reasonable prices (I'm a tightwad).

So many nice guns to choose from these days.

s-ws-2-14-2013-001.jpg   m19-5-2013-001.jpg  

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Last edited by eatmydust; 02-28-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I have already mentioned that I'm a big fan of the 1911 and the straight backstrap feels better in my hand than the curved A1. The reason they put the curve in the A1 was because GI's tended to shot low with the straight backstrap of the 1911 and hump was to try to raise the POA. Guess that was before Lewis Gizzard wrote his book "Shoot Low Boys Their Riding Shetland Ponys". Ok if your not from the south you probably never heard of Lewis Gizzard. Anyway, to me an ideal home defense combo handgun/longgun is a 1911 (Colt, Springfield, Kimber, Ruger, RIA, Remington etc. take your pick) along with a Marlin Camp Carbine in 45 acp as the magazines are interchangable. Pick your poison and saddle up. I saw several mentions of short barreled 357's such as the LCR. I don't have one that light but I do have a Ruger SP 101 and a S&W 640 and the recoil is one thing but the muzzle blast is just god awful and thats outside on the range. I can't even image touching off one of those things inside a house or vehicle. I'm too old to learn how to sign so I want to keep the hearing I have left. A big bullet moving at moderate velocity is IMHO the way to go and if you can't get the job down with a 45 and a couple of 7 or 8 round magazines you don't need a handgun, you need a swat team.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis