Which Should We Buy Next ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Which Should We Buy Next ?

View Poll Results: Which Gun?
S&W 627 / 327 / 327 TRR8 / M&P R8 0 0%
S&W 360pd / 360 0 0%
S&W 317 / 617 / 63 / 43c 1 8.33%
a 1911 in .45 ACP 9 75.00%
Recommendations ? 2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 11:39 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default Which Should We Buy Next ?

**NOTE** Please do not discuss the merits of revolvers vs. semi-autos, capacity vs. less capacity, caliber vs. caliber, open carry vs. concealed carry in THIS thread. I am well aware of most of the common arguments on both sides of all of these issues. I just want to hear opinions on the guns. Thanks.

Ok everyone here's the deal. My wife and I will probably be selling two handguns in the next couple months. A Bersa Thunder .22 LR and a Taurus Millenium PT140 in .40 S&W. Those two guns have given us nothing but problems. All we're waiting on is to get them fixed up so they're sellable.

We're washing our hands, so to speak, of junk guns (no offense to anyone who likes those brands - these two particular guns just didn't work out for us).

So we will sell them and put the money towards a different gun. The money we get from the two will not be our full budget, but it will be the start.

Here's what I, personally, had in mind (if we can find them at the LGS' in NC):

1) S&W 627 / 327 / 327 TRR8 / M&P R8 (an 8 shot .357 Magnum from S&W)

2) S&W 360pd / 360 (5 shot .357 Magnum by S&W)

3) S&W 317 / 617 / 63 / 43c (a .22 LR by S&W)

4) A 1911 of some sort (haven't narrowed down ANY specifics yet, except I would probably want a .45 ACP)

Or something else? The point of these guns would be as follows:

Option 1 - This would be primarily an Open Carry gun if it is legal in the locality we will be living in in NC, but when not used in that regard it would be in a wall safe in use as a HD gun.

Option 2 - This would serve as my primary concealed carry weapon (would replace the S&W M&P9c), possibly a pocket carry gun. My wife owns one and I love the feel of it, so this would be MINE. ha.

Option 3 - Plinking and general range fun. Since the Bersa would be sold, we would be without a .22 pistol. We have a couple rifles, but no pistol.

Option 4 - Range fun, possibly HD safe gun, but mostly just range fun (note: I do not own any .45s right now, so I would have to buy dies to reload for it to maximize our fun. I already reload for 9mm and .357 Magnum / .38 Special. I don't mind buying dies, but just thought I'd throw that in there).

Always have clean socks.

texaswoodworker Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2014, 11:58 PM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 215

I have a bersa thunder 380 works well.. Have a LCP it works well. Don't know if I could get one at any time soon or in the next few years.. but I want a Colt 1911A1 an a Beretta M9 .. And a desert eagle ..... be nice to own..

Posted By R1D2, Many leagues under the sea..
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
-Joker :)

(Remember the fallen!)

Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Personally I can't stand any smith and wesson handguns.

Some neat guns in the revolver world are pretty much rugers. The gp100 is a fantastic 357. Then the is their redhawk series. For carry I would go lcr 357 over a sw any day. This model is particularly interesting http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/models.html

Semi autos I would recommend a xdm in 45acp or 9mm over a 1911 as a carry/range gun.

For 1911's I'm pretty fond of colts and springfield is turning out some realllllllly nice guns lately.

For 22lr the ruger 22/45 is the hands down best there is.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

rockratt Likes This 
Old 02-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #4

Liked 388 Times on 224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Personally I can't stand any smith and wesson handguns.

Some neat guns in the revolver world are pretty much rugers. The gp100 is a fantastic 357. Then the is their redhawk series. For carry I would go lcr 357 over a sw any day. This model is particularly interesting http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/models.html

Semi autos I would recommend a xdm in 45acp or 9mm over a 1911 as a carry/range gun.

For 1911's I'm pretty fond of colts and springfield is turning out some realllllllly nice guns lately.

For 22lr the ruger 22/45 is the hands down best there is.
+1 on the gp100 in .357 magnum. I own one and it's smooth as butter. 4 inch barrel would be good for open carry and full house magnum loads are a sure man stopper for hd.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-27-2014, 12:28 AM   #5

Liked 988 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 637

I picked "recommendations?", because I'm not real familiar with any of the ones listed. So, here's my recommendation; Sig P938. It'd cover both Options 1 & 2. I have one, it's not even that bad to shoot for range fun. And I don't have the extended mag yet.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:33 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I picked the 617:

The only reason why I haven't sold off my Browning Buckmark is because my little sister likes to shoot that one when she comes up here for the summer.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:49 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I would love to have a high quality 1911 again.

"Feuer Frei!"

Old 02-27-2014, 01:53 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Look at the "Wiley Clap GP100"... Ruger revolvers are great and the Wiley has smoothed edges and Novak sights. Really nice in stainless and blued. I do like Smith Revolvers too an any of those you mentioned are good choices. Ultimately I would suggest the revolver or pistol that fits best in your hand and you shoot well. The only additional suggestion I have is something I think you have learned the hard way ... stay away from junk because your life may depend on that $200 (+ or -) difference. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 02-27-2014, 01:58 AM   #9
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3175 Times on 2156 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Sorry you had/Have issues with two of my Favorite Brands. But since your moving "Forward" and not "Sideways" or "Back," I would also suggest the Ruger GP100. I know You said Prior that You & GG&C had both shot the LCR, and were not totally comfortable. The Grips, to me, are as important as the Caliber & Action of the Gun. I know you both Currently Also shoot S&W 's(M&P's If i remember) so I Understand your Desire for another S&W. Good Luck Whatever You Decide!

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
JW357 Likes This 
Old 02-27-2014, 02:07 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Ruger makes a fine revolver. The GP100 is a heck of a gun, and the Wiley Clap is beautiful. GGaC and I also shot an SP101 in a 4" bbl. That was a wonderful gun to shoot.

I will say, if I'm going for a large frame revolver, Smith has models that give +2 rounds over the GP100. I'm not much of a capacity guy, but I figure the guns are basically the same size, are the same caliber, probably just as good of quality, so the round count is about the biggest difference.

I am not ruling out the GP100. Its a fine gun, and if I find one for the right price, when we're in the market, and can't find a Smith for the right price... Well, who knows?

Always have clean socks.