Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > ...should I wait? or pull the trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 748 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Default ...should I wait? or pull the trigger

I’ve been thinking about my very modest collection of semi-auto handguns and what needs I have and the niche they fill. Currently I own three…
a SIG P229SCT in .40, a Beretta 92FS and a XDM Compact in 9mm. All are very new and in pristine condition.

The P229- in my opinion it is the gold standard for an all metal, DA/SA mid-size pistol. I love the gun. Functions great, looks great and feels great. It is a range gun for me, just basic target shooting and it’s my bed side pistol. I don’t have CCW permit yet, but I plan to get one soon. This gun will probably be a secondary pistol or somewhere in the rotation for my carry needs and it’s my only .40

The XDM- another gun I can’t see myself ever letting go. Great pistol, excellent ergonomics, accurate and functions flawlessly. I love the convertibility of it with it’s full size mag and short mag for carry. This will be my primary CCW pistol. I shoot it often, just a fun pistol to shoot at the range.

The Beretta- It’s my second 92. I missed the first one after I sold it and had to replace it. It’s in near new condition and like all Beretta’s, it just looks like it’s doing 100mph sitting on the table. It’s a range gun and that’s all it will ever be. I call it my SHTF gun, anyone will work on them, you can always find parts and accessories….But it’s also the pistol I would let go and I’ve been thinking about that lately....

…there’s a couple of handguns I’d like to have. I’d like a couple of revolvers. A short barreled .38 snub for CCW would be nice. A full size .357 for the range and a woods gun would thrill me to death. And a single-stack semi for CCW for those occasions you want very little bulk when carrying.

With limited funds, like many of us…I’d have trade off the Beretta. I know it’s a personal decision and I know I’d miss it. I've never sold or traded a gun I didn't miss.... Just soliciting your thoughts and opinions….thanks.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #2

If you want to get rid of a gun then trade it off. But if you wanna keep all of them and yet get more, then why not just save a little here in there until you have enough to buy the next one?

Old 12-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #3

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

^ agreed. Only trade it off or sell if you are not really happy with it. Otherwise, you will miss it and regret it. I've sold and traded a few I should have kept and just spent more money replacing them.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2277 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

There are collections and then there are COLLECTIONS.

Amassing a large number of guns may not be the same as collecting different firearms.

Be selective in buying. Having 25 Hi-Points is not the same as having 5 "Les Baer's".

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 12-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16861 Times on 9770 Posts
Likes Given: 43970

i agree, and i only trade or sell those that i don't like or don't fulfill my expectations for me. i too have traded or sold some in the past to get another, only to find that the new one wasn't as great as i thought. then was in remorse over having gotten rid of one i had that i liked to end up with one i didn't. if you like the 92f, then keep it and save up for something else you want, then if you don't like the new one, get rid of it.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Trade it if you want..If I don't shoot it much I'll get rid of it to get something else. They make more every day..It's would be nice to have a big collection of guns, but other than a couple pre-64 Win. 94's, I shoot all my guns and enjoy doing so..

Old 12-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I say trade it. I have had many handguns that were really good guns, but I was just not enamored with. The Beretta would be easy to re-acquire if you decided you wanted another one down the road. I personally like horse-trading guns to have and try different types. Some I really like and keep, and others I hang onto until something better comes along. Good luck either way you decide.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #8

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

If you're even thinking of trading it I think you've already made you're mind up

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I know what you mean when you later regret getting rid of one. I sold a friend a Star model 30m 9mm it was nothing special but it was dead nut accurate, dependable and built like a tank, I'm trying to talk him into selling it back to me.

My readings of history convinces me that most bad government results from to much government.....Thomas Jefferson
Being Ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn............Benjamin Franklin
If Barack Obama is the answer, the how damn stupid was the question.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #10

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Sold my 92 years ago, bought a Wilson Commander. The Wilson is amazing. Accuracy is second to none. It may only hold 7 rounds, so I bought more mags.
I don't miss the 92 at all.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.