should i take advantage of the panic buying? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > should i take advantage of the panic buying?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 397 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Around here, pistol prices haven't gotten out of hand,,, yet.That said, there are no deals either. Whatever the sticker says, that's what you pay, no haggling. So yeah, depending on where you live and the condition of the piece, you shouldn't have any trouble moving it.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #52

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Thats pretty much too much TV bullshet ---
Hmmm...

Guy I shot with regularly back in the day with a mutual buddy of ours uselessly had a Mini-14 "accurized." Yeah, I told him it would have little if any effect. Anyway... Didn't sell it to me when he was disappointed though I offered but in a fit of frustration sold it to a gunshop also for FFL record keeping. Sur'nough, a coupla weeks later it was used in a murder. Cops showed up to his house with an entry team. He produced receipt, they followed up, he was not charged.

Yeah, he may have lost $250, someone was killed with his gun, and his name is probably still on "a list," but he was happy there was an FFL logbook with his name in it.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 01-11-2013 at 01:19 PM. Reason: He was NOT charged I meant to say initially.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #53

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Hmmm...

Guy I shot with regularly back in the day with a mutual buddy of ours uselessly had a Mini-14 "accurized." Yeah, I told him it would have little if any effect. Anyway... Didn't sell it to me when he was disappointed though I offered but in a fit of frustration sold it to a gunshop also for FFL record keeping.
Quote:
Sur'nough, a coupla weeks later it was used in a murder. Cops showed up to his house with an entry team. He produced receipt, they followed up, he was charged.
Yeah, he may have lost $250, someone was killed with his gun, and his name is probably still on "a list," but he was happy there was an FFL logbook with his name in it.
Twice --I said TWICE handguns i've sold FTF filtered down after a time (time mite be the difference) to someone who committed homicides with them---Only reason i know it is my LGS owner is also a friend who called me to tell me I might be contacted about them each time - Never heard a word from anyone else---I don't care how great & honest the guy you sell one to is no way you can control who aquires it after that --

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #54

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Twice --I said TWICE handguns i've sold FTF filtered down after a time (time mite be the difference) to someone who committed homicides with them---Only reason i know it is my LGS owner is also a friend who called me to tell me I might be contacted about them each time - Never heard a word from anyone else---I don't care how great & honest the guy you sell one to is no way you can control who aquires it after that --
Oops, he was NOT charged I meant but you knew that Hoss... Point is, especially with a handgun, one might want the insulation and insurance as well as the NICS check that goes along with an FFL sale.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #55

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 236

I would suggest using armslist.com.... like Craigslist, but only for stuff you can't sell on Craigslist..

Since I've had a lot of experience over the years, I will tell you this.

DO NOT ACCEPT **ANY** kind of check. Money Orders, Cashiers checks, etc... they can be counterfeited. If you feel you must... only accept one where you can call the bank or Western Union ... whatever, and verify. Tell the buyer upfront you will not release the gun until the check has cleared. Be firm. If they resist and come up with stories, there's a good chance you're getting scammed.

I was selling something on CL once... told the guy I would check with the bank. He was okay with that, he had a cashiers check from a bank in a small town in Wisconsin. It was so small , the bank was the only bank in that town. I called the bank the next day and verified it. I looked the number up online to be sure the number I had was for a bank. The clerk said that I was smart to do this, as even she had seen people take fake cashiers checks.

And yes, even cash can be counterfeit.

Most things, if I'm going to sell... I only sell locally. If a remote buyer wants something... I'll take a check, as long as they understand I'm not shipping ANYTHING for at least 2 weeks. They will often find a way to send me $$$ ... usually Western Union.

in this case, the seller should beware...or wary, skeptical and extremely careful.

PatMan

"You'll put your eye out, kid"

”You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
~Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my future bumper sticker.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Oops, he was NOT charged I meant but you knew that Hoss... Point is, especially with a handgun, one might want the insulation and insurance as well as the NICS check that goes along with an FFL sale.
Kinda agree & disagree--I'll say i enjoy the fact that its legal (& shud be) to just sell a gun to who who you want to (we're talking in a reasonable fashion now) without being probed & charged fees BUT you have to realize that down the line there cud be circumstances to deal with--Hard for me to take a firm stand on just one side on this point
BUT you'll never catch me arguein with the ole CYA policy

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #57

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I like the story the Feds put out. They are not using Information from the 4473 to register guns? They cross check these with dealers records of gun transfers. I was called on a .44 Charter Arms that was found at a crime scene. I had sold the gun 35 years ago.
We do not have National Gun Registration in America, Really?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I like the story the Feds put out. They are not using Information from the 4473 to register guns? They cross check these with dealers records of gun transfers. I was called on a .44 Charter Arms that was found at a crime scene. I had sold the gun 35 years ago.
We do not have National Gun Registration in America, Really?
Agree on that!
One i sold (1st) that was mis-used i had sold to a good friend about 5yrs before-He had no clue how many times it changed hands after he traded it off-BTW, it was a chicken shet little Heritage SA 22--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 01-11-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #59

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

One of my co workers wants to buy it. Offering $375 cash. I only paid $400 for it and he knows that or else I'd ask for $400. I'm gonna get all his information in case I ever get a call.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
One of my co workers wants to buy it. Offering $375 cash. I only paid $400 for it and he knows that or else I'd ask for $400. I'm gonna get all his information in case I ever get a call.
Couldn't hurt

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET