Should I get a Beretta? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Should I get a Beretta?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My main gripe is that the M9 design is way too easy to take apart. An attacker, at close range, can push the slide out of battery , squeeze the take down detent and flip the take down lever all with one hand. It doesn't take long to do and with a little practice, it's pretty damn easy.

If someone tries this with a 1911, you can pull the pistol back 1/8 of an inch and remove their hand.

Yeah, it's a Hollywood scenario, but it has happened in real life more than once.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:48 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Beretta 92FS is a good 9 mm pistol. I do, however, think that a Glock 17 with its higher capacity magazines is a more reliable pistol for self defense. I've owned both and I like both pistols but I've kept my Glocks longer than any of my Berettas. One thing... If you do get a Beretta, have a gunsmith polish the chamber and ramp areas for a better, more reliable feeding of the bullet.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
My main gripe is that the M9 design is way too easy to take apart. An attacker, at close range, can push the slide out of battery , squeeze the take down detent and flip the take down lever all with one hand. It doesn't take long to do and with a little practice, it's pretty damn easy.

If someone tries this with a 1911, you can pull the pistol back 1/8 of an inch and remove their hand.

Yeah, it's a Hollywood scenario, but it has happened in real life more than once.
Ya man, VERY hollywood, but I do see your point. I'm not preaching the M9 though, just giving a view from someone who does carry one regularly as I'm required. I would say that in the environment that I carry one, there's no chance of someone disassembling it because I would never use it unless i was kicking doors in and was not thinking clearly enough to reload my long gun before entering the room. So it would basically be a split second draw, controlled pair, wait till the room is called clear and put it away again so I can reload my long gun and drive on to the next room.
In real life, on the street or in the home, however, that weapon comes out if someone is breaking into my home, in which case they won't see the gun before I put a controlled pair into his chest most likely. On the street is the only time I can feasibly see someone getting the chance to get close enough to me to try and disassemble the weapon I am pointing at them, and that's only because he was close enough to me before presenting himself as a threat to begin with. Just my thoughts on it. Yeah, it's easy to disassemble, and I did practice doing it after watching a couple Jet Li movies, but I really don't see that any competent shooter would give me the opportunity to disassemble their weapon while they are holding it.
I gree with everyone on here though, try renting some guns at a range and put a few hundred rounds down range. Get a feel for what is comfortable for you. If recoil is too much, then chances are you are holding the weapon wrong. Don't be ashamed to ask someone around you for advice while at the range as well. That's actually how I learned to shoot my .45 without having an extremely sore hand after a while. I got coaching later, however, and that's how the .45 ACP became my personal favorite as well. Back to self defense, just something to consider, though it does sound like another hollywood scenario as well (But also has been known to happen), multiple 9mm rounds have been known to pass right through an assailant without even slowing him down, and on some occasions, he didn't even realize he had been shot because of the extreme levels of adrenalin. Sounds far fetched, but it has been known to happen. The .45 however, I don't care how amped up you are. You would be surprised how quickly a hollow-point will land someone flat on their back.

As for me, I used to carry my SIG P229 (.40 version) but recently bought a new Ruger P345 and I love that weapon. It's not my old 1911, but it still does the trick.

"When trouble comes, they come not in single spies, but in battalions."
William Shakespeare

Gun control means using BOTH hands.

Guns don't kill people, Strained Peas do...

Old 01-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Being that we don't live in the Matrix, I don't think you'll have to worry about someone dismantling your M9 in front of your eyes like that...........

If someone tries, then you retract your pistol about 6 inches, fire off three rounds into this groin and say with a hint of bravado in your voice "Dude! You just got owned!"

Old 01-02-2009, 02:24 AM   #15

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

LOL taking apart my pistol in my hand. No one can move at 1300fps (Well none that I have seen).

Having shot the M9 I like it. for me it worked real well I have big meat hooks and some pistols don't agree with my hands but that double stack fit my hand very well and the recoil was nothing for me. I would go with one in a 40 S&W over the 9mm. I never want to be in a gun fight with a gun that doesn't start with a 4 40, 41, 44, 45. That there is the magic number. But for starters and new shooters I would lean towards the 9mm as it is a little softer in the recoil department.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post

Well, with my 92FS, to take it apart the magazine has to be out and the safety on. Not the optimum method of using the weapon in self-defense. http://www.beretta92fs.com/video.php?id=201

Old 01-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The Beretta is a very good design. One plus is it's all steel (I like that in a pistol - too many plastic guns out there...lol).

The M9 is very, very reliable. Since you will use it for a home defense role you can look into getting a Beretta chambered in .40 caliber. That round packs a good punch and is the compromise between the 9mm and the .45ACP.

The main problem you would encounter with lots of use (i.e. shooting over 5000 - 10000 rounds through it) could be the recoil spring. These springs tend to wear out over time, and will cause feeding problems. 98% of the time the average person won't wear out a gun like that.

It's a big, heavy 9mm when compared to other 9mm pistols, but that is a plus to me. I like a gun to feel like a gun, not like my kids toy.

Of course, you can always check out the 9mm 1911 style pistols out there if you are still feeling iffy about the Beretta.

One possible alternative would be the Para-Ordnance LDA 1911 pistols.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I was issued a new Beretta 92FC in 1988 and when I retired from LE I bought it. It is as good today as the day it came out of the box. I've since bought a 96, an 84, a 9000 and an 8000. They are well made guns. Not that there aren't other makes out there too. Your best bet is to try some out at the range if you can and see what feels right to you.

... ed ...
MAINE - The Way Life Should Be ...

Old 01-04-2009, 01:53 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, I bought a Beretta 92F back in the days of their big post Lethal Weapon marketing campaign. At the time, I loved the gun, and I didn't have any problems with it. However, having learned a LOT about firearms since then, I would have to recommend against the Beretta and suggest something like the CZ or perhaps one of the uber plastic pistols everyone seems to love.

Beretta is in love with their name and their warranty has gone to hell in a handbasket. Even with discount pricing, you are still not getting anyone to stand behind the work, so if you get a junker, you are stuck with it without jumping through a crapload of hoops...

As for caliber, there are two.

.45ACP

And everything else.

JD
You have a choice.

This

OR THIS!

Personally I like 19 + 1 better than 15 + 1 in 9mm.....oh and it's got a ****ing knife on the end of it.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A fellow must go through a lot of holsters (not to mention pants and bandages) with the little toy bayonet.