Should I do a trigger job? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Should I do a trigger job?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
why??????
.................................................. ....
Because for what you're using it for, you don't need an ultra-light trigger. I doubt many LEOs have really light triggers on their duty pistols, for the sake of safety. In the heat of the moment, I would bet that they don't want to be thinking about how much pressure they can apply to the trigger.

But, again, I'm probably wrong and I'll probably hear about it.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #12

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Tune it Jo!

The hard pull and long take-up are a liability lawyer's attempt to add yet another safety!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

A lot of gunsmiths, including the one I call my own, won't tune a trigger below about 4# for a "customer".

Liability is the big issue. Period. If pressed I know for a fact the number one response will be that triggers that are below that magic 4# number are not "street ready" because they are too sensitive and could result in a ND.

Now if you know a gunsmith that knows how you handle a weapon, and trusts you, they will tune it down below that number on a "carry" weapon.

Having shot the MP previously I will say that the trigger sucks as factory issued. Period. No middle road, no "what if", it's just not very good.

Having it replaced with a complete competition trigger is NOT a good idea in my opinion IF the weight of that trigger drops into the "one pound and ounces" category, which is where some competition guns reside.

Personally? I would look at having the weapon's trigger tuned by a local, reliable, competent gunsmith. Ask him/her to "reduce the take up, give you a clean, crisp break and reduce the over-travel to a bare minimum" and see what they can do for you.

A trigger job can run from $35 to $70 depending on the shop and the arrogance of the gunsmith. No offense to any gunsmiths here on FTF.

JD

Old 03-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #14

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for the input guys, some very good info. I'll ask about tuning factory before going mall ninja. But I do want to improve what I've got.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-05-2011, 01:07 AM   #15
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had the trigger worked on my M&P 45 (it cost $85....seems like I over paid). Far less take up and droped the pull to 4 pounds. Considering it is a striker fired pistol with the only safety being the trigger I'm fine with 4#. My son has my orginal M&P 45 with no trigger work done and there is a huge difference betwen the two. He's fine with the trigger as is and thinks mine is too light. I expect if you shoot your carry pistol enough you get use to how it functions. As long as you can hit the mark when needed is the bottom line. It took several range trips to use to the new trigger but now it is the norm. IMHO I would say it's worth the price on the M&P to improve the trigger.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If it will help you shoot the gun more accurately while keeping you from having N/D then go for it. The company is simply CYA in the event you actually have to shoot someone under iffy circumstances & it winds up in court. Just compare to installing a 3.5# disconnector in a Glock-it's the same thing.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!