Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Should I do a trigger job?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Should I do a trigger job?

Since I may be sending my MP 45 in to have night sights pressed in I looked at a trigger kit also. The MP is a great pistol but does have a long trigger pull. I was surprised to see the website for the trigger kit say not for service weapons or defensive weapons.

Quote:
Apex Tactical Specialties is proud to introduce it's new *Competition Action Enhancement Kit.
Designed for the action shooting sports competitor, our drop in kit will yield a consistent sub 3 lb trigger pull. Whether the game is IDPA,USPSA or Steel Challenge our Comp-AEK will withstand the rigors of high speed competition.

The kit contains:
• Apex Hard Sear
• Apex Ultimate Striker Block kit
• Apex Competition striker spring
• Apex Competition sear spring (Two sear springs of different sizes are included with kit)
• Apex Competition trigger return spring
• Apex Aluminum Slave pin for installing the Trigger Return Spring
Our competition striker spring and trigger return spring are shot peened to extend service life.

*For competition use only - NOT FOR DUTY/CARRY OR SELF-DEFENSE APPLICATIONS

Any one have any idea why this is?
I am not going into competition and use the MP for range and home defense. I'm sure I will be using it more at the range then at home, but it is more important to me that it work well at home then at the range.
Would you do the upgrade if this was your gun?

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #2

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

Well do you like the trigger pull as it is? If so than I would leave it alone. If not, maybe give them a call and ask someone to clarify it. I would guess that for competition use it is set for a light and short pull?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

Old 03-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #3

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

I sure wouldn't!

Old 03-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Well do you like the trigger pull as it is? If so than I would leave it alone. If not, maybe give them a call and ask someone to clarify it. I would guess that for competition use it is set for a light and short pull?
The trigger is not crisp and short like the S&W 1911. I do OK with it at the range but I know it is not meant to be a target pistol. I guess my real reason for doing it is because the first thing anyone says about the MP is "bad trigger".
I'm wondering if the not for defense thing is just a cover your azz move by Apex

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
i sure wouldn't!
why??????
.................................................. ....

Old 03-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #6

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I think it's the evil lawyers doing the CYA Limbo. Too light/smooth a trigger pull can possibly cause an ND/AD in a high stress situation.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I think it's the evil lawyers doing the CYA Limbo. Too light/smooth a trigger pull can possibly cause an ND/AD in a high stress situation.
You shot the MP while I was up there. Would you do an upgrade?

Old 03-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #8

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Nope, I'd live with it. You're spoiled by the 1911 trigger The M&P is a different animal.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #9

Liked 4450 Times on 2348 Posts
Likes Given: 254

my ruger 10/22 and ruger mk2 both have light crisp triggers measured in ounces. i wouldnt use those triggers on a defensive gun. i like to have at least a crisp 3-4 pound trigger on my defensive guns. mainly due to the control factor while under stress 3-4 pounds is about right for me.

for the trigger job your looking at find out what the final poundage is on the pull then find a similar weight trigger to see how it feels to you.

if you were near me i would let ya try a few of my different gun triggers to see what poundage is preffered .

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #10

Liked 2251 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 153

A good shoot is a good shoot. APEX is concerned about their own liability in the event of a bad shoot. ND into person + "competition trigger job" = very large liability issue. If you intended to pull the trigger and bad guy was shot, it really matters little how heavy the trigger was.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball