Shot some telephone books, results not what I expected.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Shot some telephone books, results not what I expected.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shot some telephone books, results not what I expected.

I shot some personal defense ammo today. They all gave good penetration. What they didn't do was expand.
In order they are:
1. Regular 9mm slug which I didn't expect to expand. Fired from Kel-Tec PF9 into phone book. Penetrated about 9"
2. 9mm 124gr PMC Eldorado Star Fire. Fired from PF-9 into phone book from the bottom end. The bullet was fired horizontally into the pages. Penetrated about 9" (Also fired one directly at front of different book with 4" penetration and no expansion)
3. 357 150gr PMC Eldorado Star Fire. Fired from revolver into the bottom end of different phone book from one used with 9mm. Penetrated about 11"
4. 357 150 gr PMC Eldorado Star Fire. Fired straight down through 2" wood into 4" of earth.
5. 38 Special Federal 110 gr Hydra Shock fired from same 357 into bottom of phone book. Penetrated about 11" Since the pages were already ripped from the 357 that allowed easier travel and probably explains all the paper in the tip.

I'm guessing this would happen with most any personal defense rounds since this is paper and not gelatin or flesh and bone. But before performing my experiment I expected the self defense loads to expand even in paper. Apparently, the paper keeps the bullet too compressed to allow expansion. In case anyone is not familiar with what the Star Fire does in gelatin when fired from a PF9, it does expand. GoldenLoki.com

bullets.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 543

very interesting, i never tried personnel defense founds in a phone book before, thanks for the pic and info!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 02-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 422

Were the phone books wet or dry when you did the test.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 73 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakobos View Post
I shot some personal defense ammo today. They all gave good penetration. What they didn't do was expand.
In order they are:
1. Regular 9mm slug which I didn't expect to expand. Fired from Kel-Tec PF9 into phone book. Penetrated about 9"
2. 9mm 124gr PMC Eldorado Star Fire. Fired from PF-9 into phone book from the bottom end. The bullet was fired horizontally into the pages. Penetrated about 9" (Also fired one directly at front of different book with 4" penetration and no expansion)
3. 357 150gr PMC Eldorado Star Fire. Fired from revolver into the bottom end of different phone book from one used with 9mm. Penetrated about 11"
4. 357 150 gr PMC Eldorado Star Fire. Fired straight down through 2" wood into 4" of earth.
5. 38 Special Federal 110 gr Hydra Shock fired from same 357 into bottom of phone book. Penetrated about 11" Since the pages were already ripped from the 357 that allowed easier travel and probably explains all the paper in the tip.

I'm guessing this would happen with most any personal defense rounds since this is paper and not gelatin or flesh and bone. But before performing my experiment I expected the self defense loads to expand even in paper. Apparently, the paper keeps the bullet too compressed to allow expansion. In case anyone is not familiar with what the Star Fire does in gelatin when fired from a PF9, it does expand. GoldenLoki.com
Those bullets functioned precisely as expected when striking a dry laminated surface. If you shoot into water or a water-based product, such as ballistic gel, jugs of water or even soaking wet phonebooks... they will expand.

The hollow-point edge acts as a hole punch as you can see by the paper wads at the tip. The perimeter of the paper holes keeps the bullet intact as they penetrated the phonebook.

Are you an AGGIE?

Last edited by Mark F; 02-14-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Try it again but soak the phonebooks in water over night first. Your results will be much different.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaw44 View Post
Were the phone books wet or dry when you did the test.
They were dry, I didn't think about shooting them wet. Judging from spittinfire's response that's what I should have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Are you an AGGIE?
Indeed I am. James Taylor '93. How about yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Try it again but soak the phonebooks in water over night first. Your results will be much different.
I'll hunt down some more phone books. And give it another shot.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 73 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
They were dry, I didn't think about shooting them wet. Judging from spittinfire's response that's what I should have done.

Indeed I am. James Taylor '93. How about yourself?

I'll hunt down some more phone books. And give it another shot.
Long line of Aggies in my family but I'm an old UT.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #8

Liked 2123 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Tie 3 strings around the books, then soak in 5 gal. buckets overnight.
Leave string on when shooting.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:03 AM   #9

Quote:
In order they are:

In 88 I fired a 110 grn .357 MAG JHP from a 6" 586 that traveled through 2-3 phone books and stopped at the back of the last one probably because it was supported by a wood board which was supported by a cinder block wall but it did expand and even partially fragmented pretty well.

Shorter BRL's will give less expansion but better penetration and if the round gets clogged up W/ material little to no expansion.

N.D

Last edited by N.D.; 02-15-2010 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Omission

Old 02-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3590 Times on 1845 Posts
Likes Given: 401

Hollow points work on hyrdaulic pressure. The fluid entering the point is normally water based. Water cannot be compressed. When additional fluid tries to enter the sides of the cavity give way allowing expansion.

The Hydra-shok bullet uses a tapered post to direct the forces outward and give reliable expansion.