Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Shot my first handgun last night

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shot my first handgun last night

My buddy from work took me to the local gun club to let me try my hand at shooting. Started out on the indoor range. Out of about 20 rounds, only got 3 in the black, but hit the target at least just about every time (think I missed low once). Surprised me that I'm right handed and right eye dominant, but I seemed to shoot much better left-handed (tried that out because I'm blind in my right eye)...I think holding it left handed I was able to keep it steadier.

Then we went outside and he let me shoot his .40 with laser sight on the (sorry for not knowing the terms here), but the round metal targets that when you hit them, they fall backwards. Actually did pretty well on those.

I told him I get an extra paycheck in July, so he is going to order me that Ruger .22 slabside to be here on the 15th.

One quick, one hour trip to the gunclub shooting about a total of 50 rounds, and now I feel I'm hooked.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 241 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 649

can i ask how you are right eye dominant if your blind in it? im just curious iv never been blind so kinda just wondering.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
can i ask how you are right eye dominant if your blind in it? im just curious iv never been blind so kinda just wondering.
+1. Rifleman, you beat me to that exact question.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 06-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
Very right-hand, right-eye dominant. However, about 20 years ago was in an accident and my right eye lens found the working end of a barbed wire fence. Since then, can see light, colors, etc. but absolutely no focus with that eye. My natural inclination is still to try to aim things with that eye. Also, because of that, have no depth perception.

More of a term to what eye a person favors....before the accident, I never even knew we each have a "dominant eye"

Old 06-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #5

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking that you were some kind of alien being able to see out of an eye you were blind in...LOL!!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You may very well be hooked now Tai. Just give in to it, you'll be much happier.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6117 Times on 3706 Posts
Likes Given: 6927

Great fun, wasn't it? What kind of Ruger .22 are you getting? I'm in the market for a Mark III in my very near future.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Glad to know that you had fun shooting a handgun for the first time. I was hooked on shooting from the very first time I had fired a firearm; as I say a lot "it only takes on shot to hook someone". Now a few years later I own quite a few firearms, I'm working on my gunsmithing diploma, and firearms are my passion.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 06-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Great fun, wasn't it? What kind of Ruger .22 are you getting? I'm in the market for a Mark III in my very near future.
Gonna get a .22 Ruger Slab Side (Believe its a Mark III, but such a rookie better not quote me on that). He had one of his own and let me shoot it last night, and liked the feel of it.

As for other comments above, yes....I am already hooked. It was frustrating, but nothing time and practice won't fix. This winter they have a pistol league that I think I'm going to look into...sounds like a great way to meet some people and learn a lot.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #10

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

In 2008, before the election, I decided I wanted to get my CCW (in Oregon it is called a CHL, thus my screen name). Problem was, I didn't own a handgun and had never even fired one. I took a class and the fellow asked me what kind of handgun I wanted to borrow from him to learn how to shoot, a revolver or semi-auto? I didn't know the difference.

I was starting from scratch just 3 years ago. This forum is so helpful and patient, I have since bought 8 handguns of all types, a shotgun, and built my own AR-15. I've learned a lot of those terms and really enjoy this (expensive) hobby...that might very well protect my family one day.

Keep reading and learning. You obviously have the right attitude for firearmstalk.com.

BTW, I recently bought a Browning Buck Mark 5.5" Camper .22 pistol. Love it! Rugers make great pistols, too.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face