Shot gun or pistol for home protection? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Shot gun or pistol for home protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22392 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

what most of these guys have said is straight to the point. everybody's home and situation are different. are you single, married, or with children in the home? do you live in an apartment, house in the suburbs, or a rural setting? are you better with a pistol or a shotgun? is your home one story, two story, open floor plan or lots of doors and walls? keep asking questions until you feel you can make the decision as to what gun is right for you and your situation. then when you have made that decision, practice, practice then practice some more. a lot of people buy a gun for sd/hd, then just put in the nightstand or put in the corner and that's as far as they ever go. take it to the range on a regular basis and practice with it then go home and clean/oil it. proper maintanence and cleaning are important too.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearm007 View Post
I have my .380 in my drawer and my 9mm on my nightstand ready to duel wield if need be. Don't underestimate the .380 round it was invented and used as a self defense round for a reason ::::just that::::: I hate when people say "nothing less than a 9mm" that makes me wonder about individuals in our real world
Dual wield? So you are more accurate with a gun in each hand than with a gun held by both? And as far as the .380 goes, who needs concealment for a HD weapon? A .380 is great for carry because of it's small size but why would you need that at home?
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 2005

Old 09-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #33

Liked 3149 Times on 1791 Posts
Likes Given: 2293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearm007 View Post
I have my .380 in my drawer and my 9mm on my nightstand ready to duel wield if need be. Don't underestimate the .380 round it was invented and used as a self defense round for a reason ::::just that::::: I hate when people say "nothing less than a 9mm" that makes me wonder about individuals in our real world
I would not want to be shot with a .380, or even a lowly .22...

...as stated previously, if it's working for you, nothing could be a

better endorsement. IMO, 9mm is only marginally better than a

.380, and the only reason I don't have .380s is because I try to

avoid getting calibers with confusing ammo sizes, and the.380

ammo would be too easy to confuse with 9mm.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #34

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

The scattergun ( IMO ) has to stand as the best option simply for it's simple theory, availability, and vast number of options.

Personally I keep several of both on hand. But back when I lived alone many states away, before I was 21 and in a state that was not handgun friendly, my 870 was it. Still leans against the bed, accompanied by many more, and will probably be the first one I grab

Old 09-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #35

Liked 1514 Times on 883 Posts
Likes Given: 2391

I keep a .45 acp in bed with me, and a 12 guage standing in the corner of the room next to my bed. If I wake up and the perp is already in my bedroom the .45 is best. If I hear him before he gets that close to me it'll be the shotgun, but the .45 (a Taurus PT-145 w/3.3" bbl) will be in my pocket. If I had plenty buck$ my defense would be to have my ceiling rigged with a set of concealed bullet-proof bell jars about 7' high and 4' in diameter. When the perp came in thru a window or a door, the automagic alarm system would quickly drop the appropriate bell(s) jar over him(them) and seal it to the floor. Then the associated vacuum pump would start up and pump all the air out of the bell jar(s). When it was finished, a putty knife would come out an scrape the perp(s) off the inside of the bell jar. But since I don't have that kinda buck$ I'll just have to make do with a .45 and a 12-ga.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #36

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

That's a very intricate booby trap...