Shot gun or pistol for home protection? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Shot gun or pistol for home protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Both are excellent. I keep both handy. I have a "short" barreled shotgun (20" or less barrel), and a .45ACP 1911 available. The 1911 is under my pillow. The 12GA resides in a rack at the side of my bed, kept in place between the mattress and the boxsprings. That way my hands can grap whichever I chose to in a hurry.

I can move through the house quite readily with the shotgun, or the 1911. If I'm up against a drug crazed PCP addict, frankly I'd rather have the 12GA. Most other's, well, the 1911 will probably do the trick.

You really can't generalize. There are way too many variables. I also keep a .30-.30 in a rack over the door inside a closet. That's a reserve for weird situations that might present themselves.

Some say I'm paranoid. I live in the Chicago 'Burbs. Chicago is not a nice place to be thanks to a bunch of liberal, self serving idiots. The 'burbs, while not as bad, aren't exactly Disneyland, again, thanks to the same idiots. But, then again, find me some place that is 100% safe, if you can. No, I plan for the worst, and hope for the best. That's all I can do. However, as the old saying goes, "If you fail to plan, you surely plan to fail"!

Good Luck on your choice. Whatever it is, practice, practice, practice; plan, plan, plan; and then ask for the Lord's help to go along with it all. Even General Patton realized the need for all three of those ingredients.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #12

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Why not both? I plan to use a handgun to cover my azz until I can retrieve my 12ga. Nothing says go away like a Mossberg 500.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #13

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
...(thanks for weighing in, Cane), I have 100% given up on deciding on home protection based on how it sounds or the red dot. Now, it seems like it's going to have to come down to what I'm going to feel confident with and then practice, practice, practice.
Outstanding!

Now you're using your MOST powerful weapon, your brain.

Those old wives' tales work great in the movies or on TV but I've never been threatened with either.

When a threat presents itself, my concern is how do I stop this? I do not shoot to kill, I shoot to live.

In your situation presented in the OP, there has been a breech in your home security. The BG is in your house uninvited and you can only assume he is there to do harm.

Your JOB 1 is to STOP THE THREAT!

Get your gun of choice, and have a specific location picked out (usually in your bedroom) with a good line of sight to the point of BG entry. If you can, call 911 and leave the phone on. Hunker down and wait for the cops to clear the house.

If/when the threat enters the room, stop it! If its worth shooting, its worth shooting twice. There is no additional paperwork for using extra ammo.

The more holes in, the more blood comes out. Drop the blood pressure, drop the Bad Guy.

Please read this for a fighting approach to firearm use. It is much different than competition shooting.

Combat Accuracy

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #14

Go learn some kung-fu. Best Personal defense right there! joking aside I currently have a beretta 92fs with jhp by my bed for PD/HD I also have my AR-15 close by but it not loaded at all. I think the ar is too much for that task. Though I really suck with the handgun so I decided to sell it to my uncle so I can grab a mossberg 500 =D and a henry lever action so I can enjoy a little plinking here and there.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #15

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I personally feel more comfortable using a handgun for home defense. For a few reasons... I have 3 dogs that sleep in the living room who are basically my home alarms. If I had to stop a threat with a shotgun I'd be too worried about hitting my dogs as well. The other reason is a handgun would make it easier (for me) to move out around my house quickly. I keep a streamlight flashlight on my handgun and I feel it would help out. Anyone who tells you not to use one because "it will give away your position" has obviously never had one pointed directly at their face. Those things will temporarily blind you in a pitch black room...

Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Both. It would be neat if you could somehow attach the pistol to the shotgun that way if you have to go into an area where there is not much room to swing a shotgun around or if the intruder grabs the shotgun you could just grab the pistol and use it. Something like a holster attached to the shotgun.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #17

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 55

This kind of expands on what Lindenwood said, but I think you ought to develop your plan for home defense and let that tell you what gun to use. Are you more likely to be in a fixed position covering the only approach? Or are you going to have to move through the house? Who else lives in your house? Are they "combatants" or "dependents"? Dog? Dedicated safe room? How strong are your doors and windows? Do you have an alarm system? How is the lighting controlled in your home?

Once you answer these questions for yourself, you'll start thinking of others. Personally, my house is poorly laid out for defense, and I have a toddler in a room which can only be accessed from the master bedroom by going through the most central room in the house. I rely on the dog for early warning (she barks when anybody comes to the door) and then I know I'm going to have to come out to face whoever it is to make sure he doesn't have a free run at my kid's room. So it's handgun for me as the primary. I also have a shotgun accessible, though it would take longer to put into play.

And I won't discount the comfort level. If, after all your planning, you're still more confident of hits TIMELY hits with the handgun, go with that!

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 09-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #18

Too many variables to answer question. Like many have said choose what is best for your situation. House layout and others in the house will be big factors. Plan and Practice because that will be your biggest help if and when something happens. I always plan for the worse and hope for the best.

Mark

MLR Distributing

Old 09-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #19

Liked 2123 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

And, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, the sound of a shotgun racking is pointless. This means you have an unloaded weapon.
If a bad guy hears that sound, it should only be because you missed with the first shot. If he can still hear.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1606 Times on 1087 Posts
Likes Given: 1746

I am not like most I guess, but I have both !