Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Shot gun or pistol for home protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shot gun or pistol for home protection?

I have asked a few people I know whether they think a shot gun or a pistol for home protection would be best. I have gotten mixed answers. Some people say shotgun because there's nothing like the sound of racking it to deter a threat. My uncle said hand gun because he doesn't like the thought of a long barrel for a threat to potentially grab onto. Another person said a hand gun with a laser because that gets the point across (no pun intended). Anyway, thought I would take this to the forums!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #2

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

each has advantages and disadvantages as with anything in life, long gun can give a way your position if misused as where hand guns are more controllable in CQB. Also stopping power 12 gauge 00 buck vs 9mm slug, 12 gauge will stop a guy easier (more holes) where you can maneuver a 9mm pistol easier then a long gun. Personally I've always wanted a 223 pistol with a drum mag and a 870 mounted under the barrel, but as far as my home I have a model 66 taurus 357 mag I bought from a guy last year.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 09-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

Have you shot/had experience with either? Is one more comfortable?

I have shot hundreds of rounds out of shotguns. I have shot tens of thousands of rounds through pistols. I am far more comfortable shooting pistols, therefore my shotgun stays in the safe.

With a shotgun, you just aim down the long barrel, and its hard to miss your target. But like mentioned, you need to move throughout your home without knocking into walls, hitting lamps, and anything else laying around.

With a pistol, it is much easier to move around a house. Keep the pistol in chest ready , with the barrel pointing downward, and you're free to walk the house. But, without proper practice, its hard to stay proficient.

Shoot both, practice with both. Pick what works best for you.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

NEVER purchase a PD/HD gun because of how it sounds or a red dot. That felon tweeked on PCP won't hear the shotgun being racked or see that tiny red dot!

If you depend on intimidation to protect you it will get you dead!

The purpose of a self defense firearm is to stop a threat. Find one that is of the largest caliber you can accurately handle, physically fits you and one in which you establish a high level of trust.

Practice until it is boring, then add new twists to your training until you reach the level of competency you feel comfortable with. THEN start over with more training. Continue this training for the rest of your life.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Depends on the lay of the home. Can you sweep corners
effectively with shotgun? Are you able to accomplish
same effect (BG down) with handgun? Which medium
are you more comfortable with? That's the one you go
with. Because when the shtf fashion ain't gonna cut it.
Accuracy will.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i have to protect myself. my guns are perfectly happy to lay there and watch me get my butt kicked. i do keep shotgun and pistol and a few others.

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 09-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with Cane. If someone broke into my house they're going to be starring down the barrel of my Springfield 1911a1. I've had someone attempt to break into my house before, and even before that I've always had my 1911 loaded and on my person when I'm at home not when I'm asleep of course.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
NEVER purchase a PD/HD gun because of how it sounds or a red dot. That felon tweeked on PCP won't hear the shotgun being racked or see that tiny red dot!

If you depend on intimidation to protect you it will get you dead!

I am most comfortable shooting a hand gun vs. a shotgun. That is because I have fired more with hand guns. Yes, I can sweep corners well with a long barrel (wide open space floor plan). After what Cane said (thanks for weighing in, Cane), I have 100% given up on deciding on home protection based on how it sounds or the red dot. Now, it seems like it's going to have to come down to what I'm going to feel confident with and then practice, practice, practice.

Last edited by canebrake; 09-01-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Barricaded at the top of the stairs? Shotgun, hands down.

But, if you have to move through the house to retrieve a loved one, a handgun wins, hands down. You can heft a child over your shoulder and still shoot one-handed with a handgun, but a pump shotgun (or any long gun, really) is going to be hard to use while retreating through a house, shooting one-handed.

I like handguns because it is something I know I can always have on or near me. If I hear screams across the street, I can't run over there with a rifle at the ready and expect to receive any kind of welcome. Having a handgun tucked into my waistband, provided I am properly trained with it, allows me to appear relatively harmless without being unprotected. Basically, I don't like investing too much time or money on long guns. First, I am already pretty good with one from previous experience before I got into handguns. Second, given my nature of "expect the worst and hope for the best," I am WAY too unlikely to be in a defensive situation in which I actually have access to a long gun, to actually want to rely on them. For a soldier, yes it is his lifeline. But for a civilian, I feel better served with a handgun, just because I know I can have it with me much more often. If times get rough, if you've got a handgun and know how to use it, you can go run errands with it under your shirt and still be ready when a couple of thugs try to hijack you. If all you've got is a shotgun under the bed or in the trunk, you're screwed.

I guess I'm trying to say, get a handgun first and get good with it, and then add long guns as you see fit for the more extreme cases.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #10

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Where will you keep it? shouguns dont fit in the night stand. if it is under the bed,it wont be as quick to the shoulder as it may need to be. I perfer a handgun, my .45 and .357 are probably the most likely to be used in a situation like that. Which ever you choose, make sure you have plenty of practice at close range. bullseye shooting isnt going to do much for you. practice point and click.