Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Shooting wrong caliber ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 627 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Default Shooting wrong caliber ammo

Here's a picture of wrong ammo shot in handguns for a learning tool. From the left to the right
.32 auto shot in a .35 S&W
9 m/m shot in a .40 S&W
.40 S&W shot in a .45 auto
.32 H&R mag shot in a .38 spl
9 m/m shot out of battery?
The 32 I'm sure about as the guy who shot it saved an empty for me.
The rest were found and I guessed at what happened. In each case the extractor held the case tight enough for the gun to fire. You can easily see how much stronger the cases are at the base. No expansion at base. The 9 m/m that I think was out of battery is the only one I'm not very sure about. What 9 m/m would fire with the action open that far? Any other guesses? I don't think any of these harmed the gun or shooter.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Damn that 9 on the right looks like its got a muffin top. I agree very good valuable learning tool.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 06-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #3

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The lack of care that some people give firearms is amazing. These are the cases where no one was hurt but have you ever seen a shotgun barrel have half it's chamber blown out at 90 degrees? That guy was lucky to walk away with nothing but flash burns.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #4

Liked 4450 Times on 2348 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Most glocks will fire out of battery. One reason amongst many a glock will never be in my collection.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #5

Liked 1415 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 989

I am ashamed to admit it. But I once fired a .40 S&W out of a .45 acp Ruger P90. It was accidental. I was shooting the 45. I thought I was out of ammo. My wife said, "You have one left." I thought she had gotten it out of the box. When she handed it to me I didn't really look at it. I loaded it into the mag and shot it. I knew immediatly that it was not right, because there was no recoil at all. When I saw the bulged case on the ground I knew right away what happened. I said,"I can't believe I was stupid enough to put a 40 in with a box of 45." My wife said, "Actually I picked it up off the ground. I thought you dropped it" No damage to the gun or us.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wonder what would have happened if these are steel or aluminum cased ammo. I am assuming it won't be pretty.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #7

Wow this thread is eye opening.

Thank goodness I own a .357 Mag/.38 Spec. & a .45 ACP and the ammo doesn't mix as far as I know because fecess happens.

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Old 06-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #8

Thats the reason I ask questions about gun cartridges I'm not sure of. I make enough mistakes accidently without making them out of ignorance. Show and Tell is always good. Thanks

"Life's rough, then you die!"

An expert is a man 50 miles from home with a breifcase.

A rookie gangster to an old timer, "Why do we hold the gun sideways"
Old timer, " Idiot, thats the way it came out of the box!"

Old 06-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #9

Great post and instructive photo, that's for taking the time to post this. I've never (yet, fingers crossed) made this mistake but I have occasionally picked up a loose round out of my range box and been briefly tempted to chamber it without checking the head stamp. This thread is a good reminder to NEVER do that!

Old 06-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #10

Liked 220 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I've never had that happen, but have always been aware of the possibility. For this reason whenever I take more than one gun to the range, I take two that are drastically different in cartridge size, such as a .357 Mag and a .45 Colt, or a .22 RF and .357. Never take a .44 and a .45 Colt, as the two are too near in size.

Worked for me for over sixty years.

Bob Wright