Shooting well
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Shooting well

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default Shooting well

One of the things that irked me about the shooting portion of Top Shot was the supposedly "top" shooters that couldn't perform with a different platform. The Glock guy made every excuse in the book and the cowboy whined about the narrow trigger on the Peacemaker. We all have a platform we shoot the best but I think a decent "pistoleer" should be able to pick up any handgun and shoot respectably. Like many of us, I shoot a 1911 the best as it's a shooters gun. This being said, I also try to shoot my others just as well - it's just a bit more of a challenge.

Had my Sig 229 (in .40) at the range yesterday and I ran about 200 rounds through it. I didn't achieve the groups I do with my 1911s but I shot it pretty well after getting warmed up. While I could probably become a much better shot by using only a single platform - where's the fun in that? Besides, if the SHTF, I may have to use something I've never used before and I think being adaptable is a good thing...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You're absolutely right on that. That's why I rotate what I plink with just about every time I go shooting. By the way-is it ok to nominate you for casting on season 2?

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
You're absolutely right on that. That's why I rotate what I plink with just about every time I go shooting. By the way-is it ok to nominate you for casting on season 2?
Nah Bear, me and drama doesn't get along to well. I also really, really suck at anything over 10-12 yards...

Old 08-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2969 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

I agree that one should not limit themselves to one platform. As an instructor, I have to know how to use different types. Who would listen to a handgun instructor if he/she cannot shoot a handgun?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-23-2010, 12:25 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I shoot everything I own as regularly as possible. I used to have many guns, now I just have a few, but I'm proficient with all of them. I don't see the point in not being able to shoot them well. They ain't paperweights.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-23-2010, 04:54 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So you guys know how reality tv works right? Its a thing called editing. so when they have a couple days worth of footage and they condense it into a 1 hour show which is more like 45 minutes, only the best stuff makes it in. So when the guy who missed a couple shots says that the is not used to the trigger pull, it makes it and the guy eating cereal at the table doesn't.
Now i totally agree as world class shooters you should be able to shot basically everything under the sun pretty good. i also agree that what they did was pretty cool. I want some of those reactive targets that explode when i hit em.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

When shooting the other day we shot at 5oyard targets for fun. We found out we could consistently hit the man-size targets at that range which surprised me.

We did this after warming up and with all four pistols (3"XD40sc, 3"Ruger sp101, CZ75b9mm, and 4"Kimber pro carry2.45acp)

It is good to know and practice with a variety of platforms.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree 100%. I find autos easier to shoot then revolvers but I'm working on the revolvers more and more.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat4sti View Post
I want some of those reactive targets that explode when i hit em.
Try here. I think there are other brands out there too.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 08-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I didn't achieve the groups I do with my 1911s but I shot it pretty well after getting warmed up. While I could probably become a much better shot by using only a single platform - where's the fun in that? Besides, if the SHTF, I may have to use something I've never used before and I think being adaptable is a good thing...
Couldn't agree more. I'm almost the polar opposite of the folks that you are referring to. Once I get to a certain point of comfort and proficiency with a firearm I begin to get bored and switch it up. This has also prevented me from ever becoming perfect with any gun (except close to the single-six).

However, I can pretty much pick up any gun and after a quick function once-over and sight test, shoot it accurately and fast enough to be effective with it. That's what's important to me.