Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Shooting well (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/shooting-well-30754/)

NGIB 08-22-2010 11:08 PM

Shooting well

One of the things that irked me about the shooting portion of Top Shot was the supposedly "top" shooters that couldn't perform with a different platform. The Glock guy made every excuse in the book and the cowboy whined about the narrow trigger on the Peacemaker. We all have a platform we shoot the best but I think a decent "pistoleer" should be able to pick up any handgun and shoot respectably. Like many of us, I shoot a 1911 the best as it's a shooters gun. This being said, I also try to shoot my others just as well - it's just a bit more of a challenge.

Had my Sig 229 (in .40) at the range yesterday and I ran about 200 rounds through it. I didn't achieve the groups I do with my 1911s but I shot it pretty well after getting warmed up. While I could probably become a much better shot by using only a single platform - where's the fun in that? Besides, if the SHTF, I may have to use something I've never used before and I think being adaptable is a good thing...

stalkingbear 08-22-2010 11:14 PM

You're absolutely right on that. That's why I rotate what I plink with just about every time I go shooting. By the way-is it ok to nominate you for casting on season 2?

NGIB 08-22-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 336635)
You're absolutely right on that. That's why I rotate what I plink with just about every time I go shooting. By the way-is it ok to nominate you for casting on season 2?

Nah Bear, me and drama doesn't get along to well. I also really, really suck at anything over 10-12 yards...

danf_fl 08-22-2010 11:42 PM

I agree that one should not limit themselves to one platform. As an instructor, I have to know how to use different types. Who would listen to a handgun instructor if he/she cannot shoot a handgun?

CA357 08-23-2010 01:25 AM

I shoot everything I own as regularly as possible. I used to have many guns, now I just have a few, but I'm proficient with all of them. I don't see the point in not being able to shoot them well. They ain't paperweights. ;)

Flat4sti 08-23-2010 05:54 AM

So you guys know how reality tv works right? Its a thing called editing. so when they have a couple days worth of footage and they condense it into a 1 hour show which is more like 45 minutes, only the best stuff makes it in. So when the guy who missed a couple shots says that the is not used to the trigger pull, it makes it and the guy eating cereal at the table doesn't.
Now i totally agree as world class shooters you should be able to shot basically everything under the sun pretty good. i also agree that what they did was pretty cool. I want some of those reactive targets that explode when i hit em.

Gojubrian 08-23-2010 09:52 AM

When shooting the other day we shot at 5oyard targets for fun. We found out we could consistently hit the man-size targets at that range which surprised me.

We did this after warming up and with all four pistols (3"XD40sc, 3"Ruger sp101, CZ75b9mm, and 4"Kimber pro carry2.45acp)

It is good to know and practice with a variety of platforms.

spittinfire 08-23-2010 12:13 PM

I agree 100%. I find autos easier to shoot then revolvers but I'm working on the revolvers more and more.

utf59 08-23-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat4sti (Post 336785)
I want some of those reactive targets that explode when i hit em.

Try here. I think there are other brands out there too.

diggsbakes 08-23-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 336633)
I didn't achieve the groups I do with my 1911s but I shot it pretty well after getting warmed up. While I could probably become a much better shot by using only a single platform - where's the fun in that? Besides, if the SHTF, I may have to use something I've never used before and I think being adaptable is a good thing...

Couldn't agree more. I'm almost the polar opposite of the folks that you are referring to. Once I get to a certain point of comfort and proficiency with a firearm I begin to get bored and switch it up. This has also prevented me from ever becoming perfect with any gun (except close to the single-six).

However, I can pretty much pick up any gun and after a quick function once-over and sight test, shoot it accurately and fast enough to be effective with it. That's what's important to me.