Shooting under water - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Shooting under water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
So, what was the end result of the speargun out of the water??
With the cable, the spear comes straight back at the gun & whoever is holding it, if it doesn't hit a target. Without the cable, lawn darts don't even compare to the fun.

I am glad i was skinny & quick & first to try it (sloooow coworker).

Old 09-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #22

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
With the cable, the spear comes straight back at the gun & whoever is holding it, if it doesn't hit a target. Without the cable, lawn darts don't even compare to the fun.

I am glad i was skinny & quick & first to try it (sloooow coworker).
LOL - Was he seriously hurt??

I have a similiar story about fun with a 24" piece of galvanized pipe, approximately 2" in diameter, a golf ball and an M-80.

Cap one end, bury the pipe in the ground @ an angle except for the last 6 inches. Light m-80 and drop down the pipe, drop golf ball in behind it and wait....

That golf ball will clear most of the neighborhood, the freeway and end up, presumably, in the parking lot of the mall.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillinger View Post
that golf ball will clear most of the neighborhood, the freeway and end up, presumably, in the parking lot of the mall.
fooooooore! Lol!

Old 09-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
There can be no air pockets inside the bbl or firearm. If fully submerged, the pressure on all components is consistent.

Back in the 80's SOF Magazine did a test in a swimming pool with a Stainless Randall .45. They determined that the lethal distance of a 230gr ball round under water (for a human) was approximately 18 feet, if I remember right.
5-6m is what we were told.... -1m for every 9 ft of depth also..... and one can scale that on a parabolic curve. DO NOT TRY WITH RIFLES!!!! Those will just blow up.... if they even fire...

Old 09-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC357 View Post
Squirt guns........of course.

OC
There actually are a couple designs, very rare, and uncommon, and even more rare for a non-govt agency to acquire. They are not typical firearms, in that they fire darts, not bullets. There are many experimental versions around, but only 2 that have been officially adopted and fielded by any nation. one problem with such weapons in water is that they tend to cause the operator to drift.... which can be just as dangerous. Spear guns/harpoon guns work much like crossbows, though there are some gas powered ones around.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
LOL - Was he seriously hurt??

I have a similiar story about fun with a 24" piece of galvanized pipe, approximately 2" in diameter, a golf ball and an M-80.

Cap one end, bury the pipe in the ground @ an angle except for the last 6 inches. Light m-80 and drop down the pipe, drop golf ball in behind it and wait....

That golf ball will clear most of the neighborhood, the freeway and end up, presumably, in the parking lot of the mall.
sounds kinda like the tennis ball mortar thing but on crack.... lol.... wonder how one of those funky golf ball launchers that people have made for AR15s would fare against that...... or maybe two M-80s int he pipe...

One training exercise, we had about 78 claymores, and 248 hand grenades to, expend.... so in boredom, we decided to get creative.... that is when we found that if you unscrew a hand grenade fuse, and insert it into a claymore, the threads are the same size... and the claymore blasting cap taper plug will thread into a hand grenade..... lets just say the sound of a hand grenade fuse safety spoon would make a good distraction, draw enemy close, and really give them a shock!!!! in 4-6 seconds.... the smoke/flashbang fusez do not have the power to detonate a claymore, but will set them on fire, as will the standard incendiary grenade fuse, but the good incendiary grenades (the ones that actually have an explosive charge inside as well) will set them off and can make a trip wire setup easy, complete with anti-cut ability (cut the wire it goes boom) which is far easier to setup than the old clothing pin style setup. Anywho, we found a deep rabbit hole, and had an idea, what would happen if you stuff a grenade in a hole and quickly stuff a wet stuffed rabbit down the hole... so the next day, one of the married guys stole a stuffed rabbit from his daughter's collection, and we tried it.... last thing we saw was a stuffing trail, and the stuffed rabbit flying about 500 feet in the air into the woods.... the fun bored operators have with explosives is.... amazing. We even did that grenade remote with a clacker and claymore blasting cap just so we could watch the whole thing.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #27

Quote:
More like "stuff i did & now realize it was reeeeeeally dumb". Learning experiences can be funny, but usually not at the time.

Same boss would go out of town & leave two teenagers to run his shop & guard his attached apartment with its usually well-stocked bar.
LoL... Learning experiences are always funny.... unless they require more than a dozen stitches.... or over 24 hours in the hospital.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #28

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Am i the only one who keeps thinking of those flame thrower shotgun shells?
Just hand load some shells with magnesium.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Just hand load some shells with magnesium.
better way to do it..... take a buck shot round, a cheap one, empty out pellets, fill with powdered iron oxide (II, rust) and aluminum, #5 mesh or finer preff. Also, take some match heads, grind off the phosphorous tips, can also use road flare heads.... take about 2 tea spoons worth, wet it to make a dry paste. Roll into a ball, take the strikers from some math boxes/books, wrap ball with strikers, wrap with toilet paper. take 2 shot cups from cheap bird shot rounds, or some other contained that can be closed........ fill with powdered metal, and place the ball at the front end.... when round hits it will go off in a thermite flash!!!!