Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Shooting under water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hth3 View Post
What are the dynamics of firing a pistol or rifle under water. Some of us think that the water causes a blockage the same as would dirt or anything else. Some think it makes no difference.

For instance, we have used a bang stick for shooting alligators in the back of the head with no problem. The question is can a pistol be used for the same purpose if the barrel is two to three inches below the waterline?

Any thoughts?
hth3
I have seen it done, however keep in mind the pistol would need to be entirely underwater for it to do so. It is def. not recommended, as ammo costs too much, and it adds too many variables for it to be safe. I have done training where we have done this, but it does cut accuracy, velocity, and cycle time drastically. The pressure is equalized on the chamber, however there is still a slight increase. Also, all lubrication if using anything but a heavy moly grease, or DFL is gone after the first shot. The bullet will only travel a small fraction of the speed and velocity as if shot above water line, and the deeper you go, the more the effect (3m, or just over 9ft of H2O=~1 atmosphere of air pressure @ sea level... imagine the pressure in the marianas trench @ ~36k ft!!!). Now some may say it will cause a JHP to open up, however I have never seen it happen. I have seen semi-pistols short stroke, but I have never heard or seen it cause a pistol to become permanently damage, aside from rust, which would be my major concern with doing this. I would not recommend ever doing it because the bullet does not take a predictable path, as the rotation and groove engraved by the rifling cause an odd effect in the water, and actually cause the bullet to fly off course and kinda corkscrew, though it keep orientation. Now if you are talking about shooting under water at a target out of water, only effective if the water depth at the muzzle of a 1911A1 is no more than 4 ft deep, as the bullet leaving the water surface is traveling at half the velocity it normally would, thus making it's effective range going out very short. But I cannot stress enough for you to NOT DO THIS, unless your life were to somehow depend on it. It is relatively quiet as a side note, for those out of the water, though the flash is still visible in shallow water. This is why they have developed underwater specialty weapons, such as the P-11, which fire darts and have a smooth bore, and a pusher much like a shotgun wad. most pistol rounds are water tight, and another side note, the whole oil and solvent on a bullet thing, no effect, other than some increased gunkage and spots embedded on the brass/primer cap. Oh and brass from firing underwater may not completely seal the chamber, and is usually notably easier to reload.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanG23 View Post
what type of guns can fire underwater?
Squirt guns........of course.

OC

"magbum"

Old 09-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC357 View Post
Oh mannnnn, I was just starting to fill the bathtub...and dust off the rubber duckie...

OC
Not the Rubber Duckie Man!! Show some humanity for crying out loud!
rubber-duckie.jpg  

Old 09-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanG23 View Post
what type of guns can fire underwater?
All of them, if handled properly. The thing is, none of them are particularly lethal.

Underwater, you need to be thinking about a spear gun, or an equally engineered type of underwater device.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:42 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Not the Rubber Duckie Man!! Show some humanity for crying out loud!
It's too late....the rubber duckie is KIA......

OC

"magbum"

Old 09-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC357 View Post
It's too late....the rubber duckie is KIA......

OC
You'll pay for that, Rab-bit.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:48 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Underwater, you need to be thinking about a spear gun...
Side note, do NOT fire the speargun out of water without unhooking the steel cable that attaches the spear to the gun, trust me. You should also not leave the spear gun where an teenage employee could find it and potentially play darts with it.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Side note, do NOT fire the speargun out of water without unhooking the steel cable that attaches the spear to the gun, trust me. You should also not leave the spear gun where an teenage employee could find it and potentially play darts with it.
Now THAT sounds like a thead called "Stupid Shi'ite I have seen done" just waiting to be opened.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Now THAT sounds like a thead called "Stupid Shi'ite I have seen done" just waiting to be opened.
More like "stuff i did & now realize it was reeeeeeally dumb". Learning experiences can be funny, but usually not at the time.

Same boss would go out of town & leave two teenagers to run his shop & guard his attached apartment with its usually well-stocked bar.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
More like "stuff i did & now realize it was reeeeeeally dumb". Learning experiences can be funny, but usually not at the time.

Same boss would go out of town & leave two teenagers to run his shop & guard his attached apartment with its usually well-stocked bar.
LOL - If I had your diet plan, I would need a heavy cornerstone of booze too.

So, what was the end result of the speargun out of the water??