Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Shooting under water (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/shooting-under-water-18433/)

hth3 09-23-2009 04:39 PM

Shooting under water

What are the dynamics of firing a pistol or rifle under water. Some of us think that the water causes a blockage the same as would dirt or anything else. Some think it makes no difference.

For instance, we have used a bang stick for shooting alligators in the back of the head with no problem. The question is can a pistol be used for the same purpose if the barrel is two to three inches below the waterline?

Any thoughts?
hth3

Dillinger 09-23-2009 05:10 PM

I have a couple of thoughts, actually.

The first is the change in dynamics around the the pressure and the bullet.

Having the gun suspended in any medium, even jello, it would fire, but it wouldn't be ideal and COULD result in damage to the weapon.

Having a gun outside of that medium, but having the barrel stuck in that medium, you would have a ton of pressure that suddenly has nowhere to go but BACK. The force on the round would change from moving through air, to immediate resistance causing tremendous back pressure.

That is why bang sticks have heavy gas venting in the "stick" part - to keep it from going BANG in the owner's hand.

My next thought would be: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!

JD

Dillinger 09-23-2009 05:12 PM

robocop10mm 09-23-2009 06:50 PM

Everything I have read about this topic is to turn the barrel up to let out the air and it will work fine.

IGETEVEN 09-23-2009 06:52 PM

Excellent response. Any time in the my military experience a weapon was fired in or about the water, that weapon was turned in and exchanged for reissue ASAP to prevent any FUBAR issues. Same goes with Seal teams. :)

Jack the Man

M14sRock 09-23-2009 07:11 PM

There can be no air pockets inside the bbl or firearm. If fully submerged, the pressure on all components is consistent.

Back in the 80's SOF Magazine did a test in a swimming pool with a Stainless Randall .45. They determined that the lethal distance of a 230gr ball round under water (for a human) was approximately 18 feet, if I remember right.

OC357 09-23-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 164323)
I have a couple of thoughts, actually.

The first is the change in dynamics around the the pressure and the bullet.

Having the gun suspended in any medium, even jello, it would fire, but it wouldn't be ideal and COULD result in damage to the weapon.

Having a gun outside of that medium, but having the barrel stuck in that medium, you would have a ton of pressure that suddenly has nowhere to go but BACK. The force on the round would change from moving through air, to immediate resistance causing tremendous back pressure.

That is why bang sticks have heavy gas venting in the "stick" part - to keep it from going BANG in the owner's hand.

My next thought would be: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!
JD

Oh mannnnn, I was just starting to fill the bathtub...and dust off the rubber duckie...:D

OC

AsmelEduardo 09-24-2009 04:13 AM

Hey, onther thing that came up when is was thinking in do the same...
DO NOT USE HOLLOW POINTS!
HP bullets try to expand inside the barel in a dense material as water

orangello 09-24-2009 04:42 AM

Am i the only one who keeps thinking of those flame thrower shotgun shells?

753X0 09-24-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 164377)
There can be no air pockets inside the bbl or firearm. If fully submerged, the pressure on all components is consistent.

Back in the 80's SOF Magazine did a test in a swimming pool with a Stainless Randall .45. They determined that the lethal distance of a 230gr ball round under water (for a human) was approximately 18 feet, if I remember right.

Water is one of the best bullet stoppers there is. Here's a test about that myth.