Shooting Steel Targets
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Shooting Steel Targets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Shooting Steel Targets

OK I know everyone is going to get a kick out of this. Why don’t the rounds ricochet off the targets? Is it because the round is soft and it just mushrooms up and drops kind of dead. I have always wondered but was afraid to ask, because I know a few will get me. I might deserve it a bit, so let’s hear it. Where the hell do the rounds go????

And you guys that can shoot outside dont know how good you have it. I hate the indoor range, gives me a head ache everytime. I wear (3) types of ear protection. I think its the venting.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Bullet Ricochet Nearly Kills Shooter

Old 04-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7317 Times on 4401 Posts
Likes Given: 8975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
Bullet Ricochet Nearly Kills Shooter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPZyBLv0ijc
That scared the crap out of me. It looks like it ricocheted off the back stop.

I think with an angle back stop and swinging targets that isn't likely to happen............at least I hope not.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

"Bullet Placement" take that to the bank! - cane

Cooperism

"For people who are concerned about lead spray from steel targets, we point out that spray is distributed in a circular pattern perpendicular to the angle of impact. It goes up, down and sideways regardless of the aspect of the target. (You can test this with cardboard shrouding if you wish.) Thus, nothing much is accomplished by slanting the target at minor angles. Eventually, of course, you will achieve ricochets, but target display will suffer." - Jeff Cooper 2003

Steel Challenge

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #5

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

It happens from time to time. From what I've experienced personally, it's not so much the lead bullet but the copper jacketing "spraying" as it comes apart on impact. I've had a cigarette I was puffin' on ventilated by copper spray, once or twice to the leg. (No injury) Always wear your eyes and be aware of other shooters. I use an outdoor range and we never shoot HP's at steel for that reason, only FMJ's

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting