Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > shooting right handed while aiming with left eye...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default shooting right handed while aiming with left eye...

So basically, I am right handed but damn near blind in my right eye. So because of this, I have to shoot righty and aim with my left eye... I never thought anything of it until I started learning more about shooting. My question is, does shooting like this effect my aim in any way with a pistol? I have to shoot rifles left handed unless they have a tall scope on them, but shooting lefty feels down right awkward and is not fun for me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

interesting...
i would say to switch everything to your left
the way i see it:
1. your right eye is never gonna get better
2. the awkwardness of becoming a lefty is gonna go away with practice and time
its gonna feel weird and you'll shoot terrible but with practice and time you'll get better
and hey in this day and age a lefty has it just as good as a righty (maybe not all the time but yeah)

so what do you think?

and yes aiming with left while holding with right is gonna effect accuracy and you'll hit a wall eventually(i think)

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Last edited by junho806; 10-08-2009 at 12:52 AM.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've had lazy eye in my right eye forever and it's all but useless. It's the main reason I don't use long guns much. I shoot pistols right-handed and left-eyed with no problems - and I win my share of matches. Other than having my head turned a bit, I see no difference between me and "normal" shooters...

Old 10-08-2009, 12:51 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I've had lazy eye in my right eye forever and it's all but useless. It's the main reason I don't use long guns much. I shoot pistols right-handed and left-eyed with no problems - and I win my share of matches. Other than having my head turned a bit, I see no difference between me and "normal" shooters...
interesting...
i guess if you make it work it'll work

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 10-08-2009, 12:56 AM   #5

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Wyatt to Ike, I like that!

I feel your pain, I'm left eye dominate but right handed.

Shooting with my weak side is like using a palsy hand!

Not that it would help your situation but I forced my sight picture with monovision contacts. This allows my dominate left eye to handle distant vision and I had my right eye prescription focused at arms length! Yep, actually sat in the eye doctors exam room holding my CCW at sight shooting distance as he rotated those bee eye thingies for a perfect shooting Rx!

nerd.gif

Naw, he wasn't intimated, he was actually cool with the whole thing!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-08-2009, 01:09 AM   #6

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Right handed and left eye dominant. Instructor taught to use squared up stance and turn my head. I read on a forum to shoot with left foot forward and leaning forward. This requires me to turn my head just a little and has vastly improved my shooting. Just for what it is worth.

"Honey, can I buy another gun?" "Why another gun?" "I just figured out that I am two guns short of never enough!"

Old 10-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander View Post
Right handed and left eye dominant. Instructor taught to use squared up stance and turn my head. I read on a forum to shoot with left foot forward and leaning forward. This requires me to turn my head just a little and has vastly improved my shooting. Just for what it is worth.
Over time, I have found that a left foot forward stance works better for me as well. I'd sure like to have a good right eye but my only option has been to adapt, improvise, and overcome...

Old 10-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #8

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Well thank you everyone for your input. I haven't seen any real problems with the way I was shooting because when I go to the range all of my shots are on target. I guess since my eye has been useless my whole life I've unknowingly adapted... I just wanted to see if my situation was uncommon. The first time I shot a pistol I stood with my left foot in front, shoulders squared and tilted my head a bit. Never missed what I was aiming at either. Oh and Cane, I think my eye doc would ask me to leave his office if I tried that

Old 10-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #9

Doyle - I would guess that if your right eye has been this bad for so long that you've become left-eye dominate by default and have already adapted to it. I'm right-handed and right-eye dominate, which means I should practice shooting with my right eye closed. I don't, but I should...

Check out: GUN FRIENDLY

Old 10-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #10

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Wyatt to Ike, I like that!

I feel your pain, I'm left eye dominate but right handed.

Shooting with my weak side is like using a palsy hand!

Not that it would help your situation but I forced my sight picture with monovision contacts. This allows my dominate left eye to handle distant vision and I had my right eye prescription focused at arms length! Yep, actually sat in the eye doctors exam room holding my CCW at sight shooting distance as he rotated those bee eye thingies for a perfect shooting Rx!

Attachment 6650

Naw, he wasn't intimated, he was actually cool with the whole thing!

I didn't do it for shooting purposes but I had my eyes surgically corrected to monovision. My right eye is close vision and my left is distance. I'm right handed and was wondering how it would affect my aim, if at all. I know it can be a pain when I'm shooting my camera.