Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Is shooting revolvers the same as shooting semi auto pistols? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/shooting-revolvers-same-shooting-semi-auto-pistols-94158/)

hq357 07-20-2013 09:12 AM

Is shooting revolvers the same as shooting semi auto pistols?

I would like to purchase a 22lr pistol to practice with my accuracy but i want a 22lr revolver. i have semi autos in 9mm 40, and 45. Ammo is pretty expensive i want to keep my skills in tune. So i want the 22 lr revolver over a semi auto 22 because bulk ammo in a semi auto consists of lots of cleaning, jaming, and maintanace and there really isnt any semi auto 22s i like im sure there are som nice ones out there but not my taste. when i switch back to a semi auto in the higher calibers will it be completly diffrent? Or should i expect, not much diffrence?

AR10 07-20-2013 10:47 AM

Having three autos, you are due for a revolver.

MisterMcCool 07-20-2013 11:06 AM

I find it reassuring to practice with different types of guns. You can learn the functions and ergonomics of them and feel comfortable shooting whatever.
:sidebar: rimfire revolvers are deafening

mountainman13 07-20-2013 11:24 AM

Different action, different experience.
As stated, pick up a revolver.

JonM 07-20-2013 11:42 AM

In one word, no.

clr8ter 07-20-2013 12:31 PM

I know it's not your desired caliber, but wicked cool; The Ruger Single Nine. 9 shots of 22MAG. See also the Single Ten, 10 shots of 22LR.

And, not to point out the obvious; a 22 revolver will have much less kick than your other guns. 22 MAG a little more, but still not much.

Rick1967 07-20-2013 12:36 PM

If you can shoot a double action revolver accurately, you can shoot anything. They usually have a long trigger pull. Sometimes a little heavy. I have several S&W revolvers. They all have really great triggers. But using a revolver in double action mode teaches you that you must use proper trigger control to able to hit anything. Single action autos are much more forgiving at the target range if you are someone that jerks on the trigger. Not saying you are.

Everyone should have at least one revolver.

winds-of-change 07-20-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool (Post 1309491)
:sidebar: rimfire revolvers are deafening

I didn't know that. Interesting.

Very good question asked here. I never thought of the difference in shooting. I have a GP 100 and it has a very heavy trigger pull and I can't shoot it for very long. I start out shooting it in double action but after about 18 rounds, I revert to single action. My Mark II I could shoot all day.

And yes, everyone should own the beauty of a nice revolver. :cool:

danf_fl 07-20-2013 12:58 PM

My basic hold works for revolvers and pistols.

Form the "V" between thumb and fore-finger.
grab as high as possible.
Thumbs forward.

SSGN_Doc 07-20-2013 01:32 PM

You can still practice fundamentals of stance, grip, , natural point of aim, sight alignment, sight picture, breathing, trigger squeeze, and follow through with a revolver. Fit will be different, as will balance, and trigger, and manual if arms. But I bet there are variations in these factors in different autos as well.

Is shooting a revolver the same as shooting an auto? Nope. But, you still get a lot of the same benefits from practicing with the revolver, that you can from shooting an auto.