Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Shooting with non dominant hand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

I do that all the time! Hate it! Lol

But no, I don't train for anything, ever. Basic hand eye coordination will suit me fine, or it won't, no big deal to me either way. However I'm very confident I would remain victorious and proven correct, as usual.

Still, if you wish to do so, well, then do. I enjoy the occasional double fisted mag dumping, just for fun. Otherwise it's point and shoot and the eyes are what leads the aim, not the hand. It's the brain that receives the input then sends the impulse to the extremity which simply follows direction.

That's my take.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #12

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can speak for hand gun shooting, but I do it all the time while out shooting gophers with the .22s and the .243. It helps keep things interesting and make a "training" more enjoyable.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

I can shoot with either hand, I'm a slightly better shooter with my left hand than my right.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomsarelv View Post
The past 2 nights I have awakend with my hand asleep from laying on it wrong, and have wondered how in the world can I pick up and fire a gun with a limp hand. Has anyone ever trained shooting with your opposite hand?
Ideally you should learn to shoot equally well with both hands, and you should be able to do it without support from the other hand. A good start is to visit any guitar shop and get a hand exerciser to build strength in the weak hand. They're usually between 5 and 10 dollars US.

You should also practice proper reloading techniques using only one hand. Remember, safety first! Do it with that muzzle pointed downrange at all times. Depending on what you shoot, this can be an adventure.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5210 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 4447

Weak hand shooting is a critical skill for defense. And it's not hard to learn.

A lot of dry fire practice and a little live fire practice.

Golda Meier.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 890 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 1158

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomsarelv View Post
The past 2 nights I have awakend with my hand asleep from laying on it wrong, and have wondered how in the world can I pick up and fire a gun with a limp hand. Has anyone ever trained shooting with your opposite hand?
Yep, I practice all the time shooting single hand unsupported with
non-dominant eye. When you practice Kant your pistol a bit to the inside it gives a bit better support and helps engage your forearm muscles.

Become steel or get cut.

Last edited by Steel_Talon; 03-26-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2241 Times on 1122 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

Practice and shooting with the weak hand is a good practice. Only thing is regardless of strong hand or weak hand you should still use your dominant eye when shooting if at all possible unless the target is real close! And then you should only be using what is called a flash sight picture with both eyes open. It is simply looking directly over the iron sights pointing the gun center mass and with a solid stance, and grip, and smooth trigger pull firing. Try it! And practice supported and non supported. If you do not do it all the time you will never feel totally comfortable with it. But as long as you are going through the proper steps when shooting you should be on target. It could be your strong hand gets injured, or you are in a hallway getting shot at. And in order to be less exposed shooting around a corner.
Both are why you must practice weak handed. But when firing weak hand with a semi auto pistol be sure your *strong hand thumb is *down along the side of the pistol frame and not sticking up behind the slide !!!!!!
Similar grip with a revolver otherwise the Hammer Spur may be restricted by the support hand thumb and not able to have full travel to fire the revolver. Proper Grip is critical at all times but especially when shooting weak hand.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 
Old 03-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #18

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Yes, I've trained with non-dominant hand.

It should be part of one's training.
This. Every time.

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 AM   #19

Liked 225 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I was unexpectedly required to fire weak hand supported by strong hand during a requalification . I crossed my strong hand thumb over out of habit and the Glock slide bit me . Now, all my weak hand shooting is unsupported . If I have to do it two-handed again, I'll use a cup-and-saucer grip .
" Flash Sight Picture " means something different than what was said above . What was described above is " point shoulder with reference to the sights " .
" Flash Sight Picture ", according to Jeff Cooper, means " verifying an alignment already achieved ". The idea is that you practice your presentation enough that you automatically roughly line up the sights by muscle memory . Once you verify a rough sight picture, you fire . You do not stop and align the sights .
Using the weak hand for weak-side barricade works fine on the range. In a real gunfight, you should not and will not transfer your gun to the weak hand for this action .

Last edited by Rentacop; 03-30-2013 at 04:24 AM.
motorheadwayne Likes This 
Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #20

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Being left handed I learned at an early age that it's a good thing to try to do things with either hand. I shoot better left handed but can hit my target with my right too. I practice it most times out shooting.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson