Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > shooting Left

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default shooting Left

im a newbie on the forum here and have a question for you guys. I have only been shooting about 8 months now and am having a hard time with target shooting. im always left. sometimes an inch, sometimes more. My handguns are Taurus PT 145 .45, XD sub 9mm, Keltec pf9, and walther p22. Ive had some buddies shoot my guns and they are not having problems, so i know its me. Question is, do i try to change my shooting style or adjust my sights for me and only me? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5102 Times on 2652 Posts
Likes Given: 309

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I would suggest taking a class or two and getting some new habits set in place. Trigger control is one element of accuracy.

Welcome aboard, too. We have an introductions thread where you can tell us all about yourself.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-25-2011, 03:11 AM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

shooting left for a right handed shooter usually means not enough finger on the trigger causing the shooter to push the trigger...Left handed shooter getting too much finger on the trigger. Getting some formal training would be a good idea. And some dry firing to see what the muzzle is doing when the trigger breaks. Remember...A little bit off at the point of departure can add up to inches or more at the target.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

The chart above is the first place to start.

How big are your hands? The guns you listed are all small. That can make it difficult to get your trigger finger in the right position. My wife has a smallish pistol. In my hand, the natural position of my trigger finger puts the trigger almost on the second knuckle. To press the trigger correctly, I have to contort my trigger finger so the middle knuckle is hanging out in the breeze, and it's difficult to press directly to the rear. It fits her hand perfectly, though, and she can shoot a 1" – 2" group offhand at 7 yards with that thing all day.

If any of your friends have a full-size gun, try shooting that and see if it helps. It'll at least be fun.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #6

having all the rounds striking left is not as big of a concern as your shot group.

If you have a nice and reasonably tight that you are comfortable in everyway except that the group center is too far left, then I see no reason why drifting the sights right would not work for you. Could be a trigger control problem or you may just see the world slightly to the left.

Try adjusting your trigger contact points first, if this does not help, then readjust your sights to your hearts content. It's your gun, make it shoot where "you" want

Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #7

Liked 111 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'll assume you shoot right handed?If you don't have enough left hand support your pull of the trigger is actually going to push your muzzle to the left and up(you would think it would be the opposite but no)Try to get that left thumb lined right up on the left side of the gun near your trigger finger with a little pressure to counteract your trigger pull.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 02-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks guys for all the info. I do shoot right handed and my hands are on the smaller side. I had a full size px4 storm(my first gun ever) and shot it better, but was still left. I jus really like the sub compacts. My groups are always tight(prob 2-3" at about 25yards, except for the walther p22, its alittle bit larger. I will try the trigger advice if that doesnt work i may try to adjust the sights a little. Thanks again forthe help.