Shooting Help - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Shooting Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3148 Times on 1813 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbarrychevy View Post
A few more dumb questions. So I want a firm but light grip on the gun right? Should I let the recoil bring the up? Hold on. Let me explain. What I do after the shot is fired I let the recoil bring my arm up to about a 90 degree angle. I also shoot two handed. I wonder if my left hand is pulling the gun left.
If you hold a hammer too tight, your hand cramps up and it impedes the swing. Hold it too loose, and it flies out of you hand.

Too tight on a hand gun tends to increase the unsteadiness of the sight picture, and too loose will not allow the slide to function.

Use the "V" between the trigger finger and thumb so the barrel is in line with the forearm. The arm can then provide more mass to reduce the felt recoil VS. the thumb or hand. Trigger has to come straight to the rear, any side movement when pulling the trigger will put your shots off.

Also, think about follow-through. When dry firing, if you release the trigger too fast, the muzzle will move (and that's a no-no to good shooting). Try to "pull through" to the stop and release the trigger at the same speed you used to pull it after the shot is fired.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #12

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

that chart become my best friend as soon as I saw it, it actually helped tighten up my groups

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 10-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2491 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 717

90 degrees is waaaay to high. How are you going to recover for a 2nd quick shot?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:28 AM   #14

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbarrychevy View Post
A few more dumb questions. So I want a firm but light grip on the gun right? Should I let the recoil bring the up? Hold on. Let me explain. What I do after the shot is fired I let the recoil bring my arm up to about a 90 degree angle. I also shoot two handed. I wonder if my left hand is pulling the gun left.
The recoil will force the gun to travel along the path of least resistance, in the case of a right handed shooter that is back and to the left...try to twist your right wrist, what direction is the most comfortable? The role of the support hand is to resist that leftward travel and take the recoil straight back along the axis of the right arm. This actually reduces the recoil and aids control for follow up shots.

BTW, a fairly inexpensive laser or laser bore sight can be purchased on e-bay for about $20. It doesn't have to be durable enough to withstand the force of the recoil so cheap is ok.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-30-2011, 03:44 AM   #15

Lots of good info guys. Thanks. I figure more practice. That's the only way to get good. Talked with the guy that runs the pistol league at the range I go to and I'm going to start going over on practice night. Maybe some of the old guys can set me straight. JTJ I'm not concerned about a quick 2nd shot yet. I would just like to get decent groups, some what close to the center of the target.

Blackhawk .357, LCP, Remington 1911 R1

Old 10-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113

Where is the lefty version? It's all backwards for us left handers...lol
Thats funny u said that cause im lefty too...

3689d1303673808-shooting-low-left-pistol-correction-lh-mini.jpg

Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #17

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel619 View Post
Thats funny u said that cause im lefty too...

Attachment 34383
I used the heck out of both of these charts when I was a small arms instructor in the Corps. It's funny though how many people think because they are a good rifle shooter that they will be a good pistol shooter. That is until the shoot a pistol for the first time and realize there is a lot more to it.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113

I used the heck out of both of these charts when I was a small arms instructor in the Corps. It's funny though how many people think because they are a good rifle shooter that they will be a good pistol shooter. That is until the shoot a pistol for the first time and realize there is a lot more to it.
Very true...