Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Shooting Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shooting Help

So I just got a Remington 1911, and took it to the range today. Now I have had my Blackhawk 357 for about a year and I generally shoot high and to the left. I have adjusted the sights and got it kind of close. But now this 1911 is shooting low and to the left. So... Am I gripping the gun to tight? I have a nice steady pull on the trigger. I have shot enough to feel conferrable and not scared of the recoil. I did find that the rear sight on the 1911 where off by .010, and I have adjusted them. I will see if that makes a difference next time at the range.

Blackhawk .357, LCP, Remington 1911 R1

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #2

Make this your new best friend...

correction_chart.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	correction_chart.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	34333

Old 10-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #3

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbarrychevy
So I just got a Remington 1911, and took it to the range today. Now I have had my Blackhawk 357 for about a year and I generally shoot high and to the left. I have adjusted the sights and got it kind of close. But now this 1911 is shooting low and to the left. So... Am I gripping the gun to tight? I have a nice steady pull on the trigger. I have shot enough to feel conferrable and not scared of the recoil. I did find that the rear sight on the 1911 where off by .010, and I have adjusted them. I will see if that makes a difference next time at the range.
Sounds like your may be jerking the trigger a little bit

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 10-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbarrychevy View Post
Most new guns out of the box require 500 or so rounds to get "settled in." Usually not a good idea to adjust anything until that point, you may have to unadjust it later. Also, the grip you use on a revolver is a bit diffferent than a semi-auto so that may also be contributing to the difference in the point of impact from the .357. The aim diagnosis target is a great training tool, dry firing using a laser or laser bore sight visually shows the problem as it occurs and the ammo cost is zero.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #5

Lol. I just downloaded that target. I have looked into the Laser Lyte electric target, but its not cheep. I did not know about the break in period. I'm up to about 300 or so rounds on my 357. Only put 50 through the 1911. I figured I just need more practice. I do dry fire a lot.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #6

To me handguns require different training methods to become "good". I started training only with live rounds with somewhat OK results then I was training with some friends who are LEO trainers and they took my mags and loaded 5 live rounds and 2 dummy rounds with them. All they told me was there were 7 rounds. Started shooting and got to the first dummy and wow did I pull the gun. This is now how I train with friends just to keep my mind on the correct method.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #7

A few more dumb questions. So I want a firm but light grip on the gun right? Should I let the recoil bring the up? Hold on. Let me explain. What I do after the shot is fired I let the recoil bring my arm up to about a 90 degree angle. I also shoot two handed. I wonder if my left hand is pulling the gun left.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #8

I might have to try that HotShot.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #9

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel619 View Post
Make this your new best friend...

Attachment 34333

Attachment 34333
Where is the lefty version? It's all backwards for us left handers...lol

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #10

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great charts, both!!

People get the government they deserve.