Shooting distances - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Shooting distances

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 01:50 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3458 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Warm up, slow fire at 15 yds. Fast stuff at 10 and under. 6" plates out to 35 yds (with 10mm and .45). I like to play at 50-150 w/the big wheel guns (.41 and .44) just to stay interesting. Pepper poppers at 100 w/a 4" .41 mag are really no challenge. Then you have to walk 100 to re-set them. In 100+ temps here in central Texas in August, that gets old.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:02 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Practicing with a handgun.......I practice at 30 feet. Once in a great while I practice at 50 feet. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever tried a target past that with a handgun.

OC

Old 12-09-2009, 02:03 AM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I usually practice cc drills between 10 and 30 feet. Most of it at 21feet (7yd). Maybe its brainwashing from reading too many magazines when I was younger but that was what was suggested and to me always seemed a good distance.
I will practice aimed fire with cc weapon at 25yards sometimes for the same reason I practice archery at 50-60yd. I dont really intend to shoot that far but it seems to help me with practicing form and trigger control.
A little error in either at distance really shows up in groups.
I like to keep it fun. He11 when sighting in rifles for deer season I shot my buds Taurus 44mag off the bench at a pumpkin that was at the 200yd backstop. Thats right, missed 5 out of 6 but it was fun trying!
Seems after shooting longer yardage the shorter shots seem like a cakewalk.---Gate
Beyond the speed of sound---
Fire it up, Let the engines roll
It's time to burn it down

Old 12-09-2009, 02:11 AM   #24

Liked 40 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Our qualification course of fire starts at 3 yards goes out to 15 yards and finishes up with 25 yards. We shoot the 25 yards because the officers need to know that in an emergency they will be able to engage a subject accurately at that distance and stop the threat. But most of our shooting is done at the 15 yard line.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:41 AM   #25

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Years ago I learned a little psychology trick for hunting deer with my Redhawk and it works pretty good for me and that is to think of the kill zone being about the size of a two inch rock at 50 feet. It seemed to narrow down my thinking and since then I mostly do head and neck shots, truth is I hate wasting any meat and as well the animals always drop right where they are, no tracking, no time wasted. As for defensive shooting I practice as much as I can on instinctive point shooting. Funny thing is the first buck I shot with the Redhawk was a point shot at about 30 to 40 feet. I know I didn't purposefully aim I just pulled the revolver out of the holster brought it up and fired, it blew out the spine just behind the shoulder blades. All this being said, if I'm shooting at paper targets I'm really not that good so that makes me think that instinctive shooting has a lot going for it.

Last edited by Viking; 12-09-2009 at 04:51 AM.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Most of my practicing is done from 7-10 yards. I do back up to 15 and 20 to make sure I'm still on target a little further out. That's with my Kimber, XD or SP. If I pull out my model 19 6" or (once I learn to shoot this thing) my 629, the distance doesn't go under 25 yards. I tried this the other day and sucked! Been a LONG time since I pulled the 19 out and it showed.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #27

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

When I first started shooting handguns, the range I went to had 25 yard target frames as the closest distance you could shoot. I'm not the greatest hand-gunner in off-hand, and I could hit paper consistently - but certainly no bullseye shooter.

However shooting off a sandbag from the bench, I could take out the 10 ring cleanly. So bad guys beware if I'm sitting down behind a sand bag......

These days practice with most pistols is done at 7 - 15 yards, but I still enjoy getting out and drilling some bullseyes at 100 yards with one of my favorite pistols.....

TC Contender - 10" bull barrel in .223 - 4x pistol scope
(Sandbag & bench required of course...)

Old 12-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Really? 50 yards? What kind of pistol do you shoot at 50 yards?
The max effective range as stated in the publication for the M9 is 50 meters. The max effective for the 1911 was published as 52 meters.

I have seen competitive shooters accurately place shots on man sized targets at 200 meters.

I practice at all the yard lines at our range, which goes out to 35 yards. But most of what I do is done 15 yards and closer.

I may be remembering my numbers wrong. But a few LEO agencies figured up that an average fit BG can close a 21 foot gap in less than three or four seconds. So when I practice from that distance I attempt to fire off four shots in that time frame from the concealed holster.
"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 12-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #29

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

most handguns are too innaccurate out to or past 25 yds. However, .45s and larger callibers i've found to be accurate enough and only a couple of 9mils like the sig 226. But either way it's still fun to try and shoot that far out. for self defense purposes i don't think you would ever need to shoot that far unless you have a REALLY big house.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:44 AM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter girl View Post
The max effective range as stated in the publication for the M9 is 50 meters. The max effective for the 1911 was published as 52 meters.

I have seen competitive shooters accurately place shots on man sized targets at 200 meters.

I practice at all the yard lines at our range, which goes out to 35 yards. But most of what I do is done 15 yards and closer.

I may be remembering my numbers wrong. But a few LEO agencies figured up that an average fit BG can close a 21 foot gap in less than three or four seconds. So when I practice from that distance I attempt to fire off four shots in that time frame from the concealed holster.

You're talking about the Tueller drill, but the 21ft gap can be closed in about 1.5 seconds. At 7yards, one man with a knife and one with a holstered weapon, the man with the knife wins.

Tueller Drill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia