Shooting with both eyes open - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Shooting with both eyes open

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 04:12 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

And now, your most natural state--both eyes open, looking downrange at the target--is the state you can use to engage a threat.

That's what training will do. Don't fight nature, get used to it.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #12

Liked 374 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
And now, your most natural state--both eyes open, looking downrange at the target--is the state you can use to engage a threat.

That's what training will do. Don't fight nature, get used to it.
Well.. It's a little bit like fighting nature at first and forcing your brain to get used to it. The eye thing for me was not the issue, it was the brain thing. You see, I am looking at things with the left eye that are not much the target but the indications of the conditions of the wind. Also looking at the swirls or mirage of the air with right eye through the scope before I squeeze one off to further calculate wind deflection in my head. I now leave my windage at 100 yard zero and shoot off Mill dots for hold off at further ranges. It's much quicker and works extremely well for me. Once you get your brain there it's kinda' like muscle memory. At least thats how it's working for me.

You are correct though, training and practice is the key to pulling this off.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3475 Times on 1991 Posts
Likes Given: 1525

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
But then what about when you don't have your cool glasses? I just go au natural because I want as many factors as possible the same as I may encounter during an actual critical situation. I'm not a competition shooter.
Chris, non-perscription glasses "should" not make any difference (paralax maybe). I will not let anyone shoot without eye protection.

Those are your only eyes, why take chances if you do not have to? All it takes is one hot casing, and your shooting days are over.
(And the casing does not have to come from your firearm.)

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 10-11-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added comments

Old 10-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #14

I have always found that for defensive shooting it is absolutely neccessary to learn instinctice shooting techniques...ie:stance and both eyes open. I was taught to triangulate on my target using my support hand as a "pointer". I practice around the house with an empty pistol and when I get to the range it pays off. It stands to reason if your in a "real" defensive shooting situation your not going to be aiming with one eye or using iron sights for that matter. You want to learn to pull and shoot without all the fuss. This is why I love my Colt New Agent 45. not alot of crap in the way to clutter things up...

Old 10-12-2010, 01:39 AM   #15

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Chris, non-perscription glasses "should" not make any difference (paralax maybe). I will not let anyone shoot without eye protection.

Those are your only eyes, why take chances if you do not have to? All it takes is one hot casing, and your shooting days are over.
(And the casing does not have to come from your firearm.)
I wasn't suggesting he shoot without goggles, just that during a critical situation he won't have special glasses with a piece of tape over his left eye. So he should strongly consider learning how to shoot with both eyes open.

Always shoot with "eyes" and "ears"!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-18-2010, 01:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
Anyone do it? How does it work?

I tried it, but I get all cross eyed and the sight doubles. I was told it's better to shoot with both eyes open, but is there some sort of training involved?

(didn't know which forum to post this in, I mostly shoot handguns, so here it is)
The shooting...It's better with the both eyes open. Even if you are short-sighted, the one eye compensate the other.

Of course it will be hard in the beginning, but you will use to it with the time. You need a few days

If you start to get cross eyed, you should try closing one of your eyes just for a sec. This way you can find which image is the real one.

Last edited by eurotrade; 10-18-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 AM   #17

Amen on the scotch tape over shooting glasses. This was the only way I was able to shoot with both eyes open. It is very difficult to train your eyes to do, but well worth it. Try focusing on the front sight of your gun with the barrel a couple of inches from a blank wall. ( gun being unloaded of course ) This will help your eyes to focus eliminating some of the perspective factors.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #18

Try a modified Weaver stance 90 degrees to your target with your grip arm extended...your "free" hand supporting your pistol under your grip hand while using your supporting hand index finger as a sort of "pointer". With head at an angle to your target, your dominate eye is further from the target while your "weak" eye is in line...You will naturally triangulate without trying and with practice, you really can't miss within reason...think of mindlessly tossing a piece of paper into the trash can from across the room and how you almost never miss...and too remember to practice every other possible position...imagine catching a round to your shooting arm and having to return fire with your weak hand...or laying on your back shooting behind you...you get the idea...yeah I got it bad...of course then there's just target shooting for fun...