Shooting with both eyes open

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Shooting with both eyes open

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Shooting with both eyes open

Anyone do it? How does it work?

I tried it, but I get all cross eyed and the sight doubles. I was told it's better to shoot with both eyes open, but is there some sort of training involved?

(didn't know which forum to post this in, I mostly shoot handguns, so here it is)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3060 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Shooting with both eyes open allows you to relax the face muscles more than one eye open. I have seen people put "scotch" tape on the non-dominant eye lens of their their glasses.

Concentrate on the front sight

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #3

Default See the Target first;)

indyfan; Sir; ''sarge was talking to recruit'' 'me' listened

before firearm comes to position; ''see'' your target; pull firearm into position ''without'' taking your eyes off target. Will prevent the cross ''eye'' feeling
Worked for me; and 40yrs. later; still working

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 10-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5922 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

i shoot both eyes open even with a scope. i cant explain how its just natural to me. if you shoot naturally with one closed do it that way.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #5

I used to always shoot with one eye closed. You lose so much field of view this way though. I had the same problem you do with seeing double. What worked for me was to use one eye, get the sight picture, then open up my other eye. Eventually you get used to having both eyes open. Hope fully it works for you.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:25 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the tips, I will give it a try

Old 10-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #7

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I always shoot with both eyes open.

1) I didn't want to have one more thing to do (close an eye) in my shooting sequence. Simplicity is good.
2) Nope...that's the reason!

There is one really big drawback since I use a laser on my carry pistol: I see 2 dots out there in space. Truly, I'm focusing on the front sight, but it is a little distracting seeing a dot several inches to the left of my point of aim.

Come to think of it, if you see only one dot and both eyes are open, that is proof that you are not thinking "front sight, front sight, front sight!" You are looking at the dot!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cover your non dominant eye with a half transparent (not black) plastic strip.
That way you can leave both eyes open, without getting double vision on the target.

That is what I do.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:52 AM   #9

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

But then what about when you don't have your cool glasses? I just go au natural because I want as many factors as possible the same as I may encounter during an actual critical situation. I'm not a competition shooter.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #10

Liked 325 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 30

When it comes to trap and skeet shooting I've always shot with both eyes open. I don't know how but from my early teens when I started shooting trap and skeet it just came natural. With not much effort both eyes were open when using iron sights on rifles and pistols. I still took some practice and effort though.

Now... The last couple of years I have begun using scopes more than ever before. For some reason unknown to me I would close my left eye when using scopes. So I went along with it for awhile. For this long range shooting I gotten myself into not having both eyes open is a disatvantage for reading the wind. I've been working on keeping both eyes open for some time now when using a scope and now I'm able to pull it off constantly and comfortably.

Squinting the left eye after awhile did put a strain on the muscles surrounding the right eye which was looking through the scope. O.K. for a short while but soon was causing my right eye to fatigue. Not good.

Both eyes open in the begining of doing this was really screwing with what little brain I have as the left eye was viewing unmagnified natural image and the right eye was viewing a magnified image along with reticle and although a larger image a much smaller field of view. It was somewhat like both eyes seeing two different pictures. I think my brain was really not likeing this at first. Within only just over a month of effort and practice, the key word being practice, I have been able to near totally overcome what I refer to as the dreaded squinting eye syndrome.

Last edited by mrm14; 10-11-2010 at 05:08 AM.