Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Shooting with both eyes open (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/shooting-both-eyes-open-32822/)

indyfan 10-09-2010 04:30 AM

Shooting with both eyes open

Anyone do it? How does it work?

I tried it, but I get all cross eyed and the sight doubles. :confused: I was told it's better to shoot with both eyes open, but is there some sort of training involved?

(didn't know which forum to post this in, I mostly shoot handguns, so here it is)

danf_fl 10-09-2010 08:24 AM

Shooting with both eyes open allows you to relax the face muscles more than one eye open. I have seen people put "scotch" tape on the non-dominant eye lens of their their glasses.

Concentrate on the front sight

Neophyte1 10-09-2010 08:36 AM

See the Target first;)

indyfan; Sir; ''sarge was talking to recruit'' 'me' listened :)

before firearm comes to position; ''see'' your target; pull firearm into position ''without'' taking your eyes off target. Will prevent the cross ''eye'' feeling
Worked for me; and 40yrs. later; still working :)

JonM 10-09-2010 07:17 PM

i shoot both eyes open even with a scope. i cant explain how its just natural to me. if you shoot naturally with one closed do it that way.

silentghost 10-09-2010 07:35 PM

I used to always shoot with one eye closed. You lose so much field of view this way though. I had the same problem you do with seeing double. What worked for me was to use one eye, get the sight picture, then open up my other eye. Eventually you get used to having both eyes open. Hope fully it works for you.

indyfan 10-10-2010 12:25 AM

thanks for the tips, I will give it a try

CHLChris 10-10-2010 12:42 AM

I always shoot with both eyes open.

1) I didn't want to have one more thing to do (close an eye) in my shooting sequence. Simplicity is good.
2) Nope...that's the reason!

There is one really big drawback since I use a laser on my carry pistol: I see 2 dots out there in space. Truly, I'm focusing on the front sight, but it is a little distracting seeing a dot several inches to the left of my point of aim.

Come to think of it, if you see only one dot and both eyes are open, that is proof that you are not thinking "front sight, front sight, front sight!" You are looking at the dot!

kdog 10-10-2010 05:20 AM

Cover your non dominant eye with a half transparent (not black) plastic strip.
That way you can leave both eyes open, without getting double vision on the target.

That is what I do.

CHLChris 10-11-2010 01:52 AM

But then what about when you don't have your cool glasses? I just go au natural because I want as many factors as possible the same as I may encounter during an actual critical situation. I'm not a competition shooter.

mrm14 10-11-2010 04:04 AM

When it comes to trap and skeet shooting I've always shot with both eyes open. I don't know how but from my early teens when I started shooting trap and skeet it just came natural. With not much effort both eyes were open when using iron sights on rifles and pistols. I still took some practice and effort though.

Now... The last couple of years I have begun using scopes more than ever before. For some reason unknown to me I would close my left eye when using scopes. So I went along with it for awhile. For this long range shooting I gotten myself into not having both eyes open is a disatvantage for reading the wind. I've been working on keeping both eyes open for some time now when using a scope and now I'm able to pull it off constantly and comfortably.

Squinting the left eye after awhile did put a strain on the muscles surrounding the right eye which was looking through the scope. O.K. for a short while but soon was causing my right eye to fatigue. Not good.

Both eyes open in the begining of doing this was really screwing with what little brain I have as the left eye was viewing unmagnified natural image and the right eye was viewing a magnified image along with reticle and although a larger image a much smaller field of view. It was somewhat like both eyes seeing two different pictures. I think my brain was really not likeing this at first. Within only just over a month of effort and practice, the key word being practice, I have been able to near totally overcome what I refer to as the dreaded squinting eye syndrome.