Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Shoot for groups?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default Shoot for groups?

Many folks I know do the majority of their practice trying to achieve miniscule groups in slow fire. When I was younger (with better eyes) I used to do the same thing. I find it much more fun nowadays to shoot for solid hits in quick time. One of my favorite types of shooting is bowling pin matches and I train quite often to shoot them.

Rather than achieve a 1 inch group at 25 yards, I'm very happy to keep everything in a four inch group at 10 yards firing rapidly - either from a holster or from low-ready position. One of these days I'm going to drag my butt out to our local IDPA club and give it a go.

What about y'all - what do you enjoy?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7615 Times on 3315 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Quote:
what do you enjoy?
Sunsets, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick....
(Just kidding)

Different folks will enjoy different things. Some folk LIVE to shoot a perfect round of sporting clays- some a 1 hole group at 50 meters with a .22. There are air rifle enthusiasts that sneer at any group where you can see separate holes, and some high power rifle shooters just HAVE to hear the gong ring at the 500 yard line (or the 1000 meter line) . Had friends that wanted me to get into the Single Action Shooting Sports thing- told them I already had enough things I enjoyed that I did not have time to do- did not want to add another to the list.

I enjoy MOST things that involve gunpowder- am better at some things than others. In recent years, have really enjoyed mentoring/ coaching very young new shooters- my youngest grandkids.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

I do enjoy and shoot IDPA matches and tactical shoots more so than targets for grouping. The shooting, competition and comradery is what I like to feel and it is the type of shooting and reaction I am familiar with. My goal is to be able to respond to realistic scenarios and take down the assailant safely and quickly, with the least resistance. Hitting the target, whether it be once or a double tap is the main objective and goal. You are always moving and thinking and accessing. These type of matches will prepare an individual, perfect and hone their motor skills, muscle memory, quickness to response, and one become very efficient with their handgun. It also provides and controls your adrenaline dump to your advantage and prepares ones reactions as close as possible, if ever in a real life-threatening encounter.

I have provided a link that explains in simple terms these types of matches and trust me once you try one, it's very addictive, but the main drawback for most folk is the cost and match availability in their areas.

IDPA Match Information

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #4

We have a very active IDPA group in my town (same guys I shoot pins with) and they've been pestering me to give it a go. I've watched a few matches and when the weather cools a bit I may try it out...

Old 09-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #5

Liked 274 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I used to enjoy rapid fire shooting at targets many years ago. But, over the years since then to now I find that I get much more joy putting holes in holes at 100 yards and somewhat beyond. Now that I've got into long range shooting a whole other world has opened up to me with my shooting.

This world includes external ballistics, custom reloading ammunition, use of scopes I never previously entertained before, having a rifle custom built, learning new things about shooting, etc...

This is the joy I'm getting now from my shooting. Also skeet and sporting clays have always been a hoot for me as well.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7615 Times on 3315 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Actually, I am hoping to get a new sport off the ground- Skeet Golf. Played with a 3 Iron and a 12 g. (ladies use a 5 iron and a 20 g). Opponent's ball is fair game in flight, not on the roll. If you don't like the lie of your ball- see if you can bounce it. Still working on scoring, tho..........

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #7

While skeet golf sounds fun, the target is to small for me. I found a pic of me shooting in the first pin match I ever entered. Won it also...

Old 09-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #8

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Actually, I am hoping to get a new sport off the ground- Skeet Golf. Played with a 3 Iron and a 12 g. (ladies use a 5 iron and a 20 g). Opponent's ball is fair game in flight, not on the roll. If you don't like the lie of your ball- see if you can bounce it. Still working on scoring, tho..........
You're my hero.

I love that.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 09-03-2009, 03:21 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I keep it simple 3" at 30 feet/10 yards. I expect that is where I will need my firearm. I don't know of there is a competion for it. In real life I expect I am prepared.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter

I'd have to pass on this one. The cost of ammo alone keeps me broke. Just no room in the budget for a case of Titleists.