Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Shipping A Gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/shipping-gun-64733/)

Polygon 05-18-2012 06:26 PM

Shipping A Gun

So, I had to send my PM9 back to Kahr. I went to UPS and was told I had to ship it overnight costing me $73.00. How would you suggest shipping a gun back? I don't see why it has to go overnight and that price is outrageous. Would it have been cheaper to ship it from and FFL?

mountainman13 05-18-2012 06:36 PM

FedEx firearms policy:

D. Restrictions specific to FedEx SameDay (Excerpted):

2 (a): The following items are prohibited and will not be acceptable for shipment by FedEx SameDay service: Firearms.

4. Firearms. FedEx will only accept shipments of firearms when either the shipper or recipient is a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer or licensed collector and is not prohibited from making such shipments by federal, state or local regulations when these conditions are met. FedEx will accept and deliver firearms between all areas served in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.

Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight and may not be sent C.O.D. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the shipper is required to inform FedEx that the package contains a firearm. Firearms may not be shipped in one complete piece. When tendered for shipment, the firearm must be rendered inoperable, either by removing the firing pin in the gun and disconnecting the barrel, or by some other means so the package does not contain a completely assembled, usable weapon. The outside of the package should bear no label, marking, or other written notice that a firearm is contained within. This includes the abbreviation of the name of the shipper or recipient if the name would clearly indicate that the package could contain a firearm. Firearms and ammunition may not be shipped in the same package. Ammunition is always an explosive and must be shipped as Dangerous Goods. Signature release is not available for shipments containing firearms.

The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws including those pertaining to labeling. The local division office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) can provide assistance with the packaging and shipment of firearms.

United Parcel Service firearms policy:

Customers must observe the following procedures to ship firearms, including handguns, via UPS:

UPS accepts firearm shipments from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Counters. UPS daily pickup accounts can also ship firearms, not including handguns, through UPS Internet Shipping, On Call Air Pickup , and One-Time Pickup. Firearms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Letter Centers, UPS SonicAir BestFlight SM service, or international service. Firearms will not be accepted when presented for shipment at a UPS Authorized Shipping Outlet or a UPS Commercial Counter.

UPS accepts handgun shipments from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Counters. Handguns are not accepted for shipment via UPS Letter Centers, UPS SonicAir BestFlight service, UPS Internet Shipping, UPS On Call Air Pickup, UPS One-Time Pickup, or international service. Handguns will not be accepted when presented for shipment at a UPS Authorized Shipping Outlet or a UPS Commercial Counter.

Firearm shippers shipping through a UPS Customer Counter must have a letter on record with UPS stating their status as an authorized firearm shipper.

The shipper must affix a UPS label, requesting an adult signature upon delivery, to each package containing a firearm.

Packages containing handguns must be shipped via UPS Next Day Air Early A.M . , UPS Next Day Air , or UPS Next Day Air Saver service.

Packages containing handguns must be segregated from other packages being tendered to UPS. Handgun shippers must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Counter clerk of any package containing a handgun.

UPS prohibits the inclusion of ammunition in packages containing firearms, including handguns.

In locations where a UPS Next Day Air service is not offered, packages containing handguns must be shipped via the most premium domestic air service available.

See also Page 5 (Item 425) of the UPS Tariff, "Firearms and Ammunition," which, new for 2003, states:

Firearms will be transported only between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers and licensed collectors… to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer for the sole purpose of repair or customizing, and the repaired firearm or a replacement firearm of the same kind or type on return from the licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer to that person.
------------------------------------
United States Postal Service

And then there's always the good ol' Post Office… there's one in every town, doncha know?! And just as there's a whole lot of mis-information circulating about whether someone can legally carry a concealed weapon on U.S.P.S. property, so too are too many confused about who can mail a firearm, and what kind of firearm can be mailed. For the best information on this, we have U.S.P.S. itself! Note carefully, however under 4.0 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms where it states:

Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice.

This brings us ultimately back to ATF, and a FAQ of their own:

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922(a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

So, if you are not a licensee (an FFL-holder), you can send a handgun via common carrier, not the U.S. mail, and the recipient must be an FFL holder. If you are an FFL-holder, you can, with the filing of a Form 1508 ("Statement by Shipper of Firearms") with your local post office, send a handgun through the mails. This Form must be filed for each individual shipment.

Finally, there's one additional issue which is invariably asked about:

May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

For more information about mailing, go to the U.S.P.S.' Postal Explorer and type in "firearms" in the search box.

masterPsmith 05-18-2012 10:13 PM

Mountainman,
I would like to thank you for taking the time for posting the shipping info. It should be of help to a great many shooters and I think the MODS should make the info a sticky. I know that I have answered way too many (to count) questions on shipping firearms in the past 45 years or so to help my customers and other shooters and hunters legally ship their firearms. Policies and laws do have a habit of changing from time to time, so it is always wise to check current laws and policies prior to shipping. I have had UPS employees in the past who did not know the laws or even their own shipping policies pertaining to firearms, until I showed it to them in black and white. It is a little inconvenient when UPS tells you that they cannot ship a firearm from you until you show them (in black&white) what Federal Law states and what their own policy shows. It has happened to me a few times. I hate ignorant people who think they know it all. I guess it's no different than dealing with our very knowledgeable Wal-Mart employees !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim.......

gollygee 05-18-2012 10:36 PM

UPS is hard to deal with. They will not accept handguns at all here, even from a FFL or gun store! A FFL or gun store can ship your pistol for you via regular USPS. Even if they add some for their trouble, it'll still be cheaper than shipping it yourself. Something else that you may try is to call the warranty center & ask them if they will provide prepaid shipment, even if the warranty says you are supposed to pay it. All they can do is say no & some will do it.

robocop10mm 05-18-2012 11:59 PM

"Decent" gun makers pick up the tab for shipping on warranty repairs. I sent a Smith and Wesson back a couple of months ago. They provided a Fedex shipping label and Fedex came to the house to get it.

HOSSFLY 05-19-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 807045)
"Decent" gun makers pick up the tab for shipping on warranty repairs. I sent a Smith and Wesson back a couple of months ago. They provided a Fedex shipping label and Fedex came to the house to get it.

Thats as it shud be :cool:
I can ship USPS or Fedex GROUND but you have to know your shipper:rolleyes:

c3shooter 05-19-2012 12:35 AM

In GENERAL-

Long guns may be mailed by US Mail, or shipped UPS or FedEx Ground or Air. If ownership is being transferred across a state line (other than by inheritance) it must go TO a FFL in the recipient's home state. Note that manufacturers ARE FFL holders, and that they CAN return a gun sent in for repair, or a replacement gun- directly to the person that sent it to them. UPS Stores are NOT UPS, private franchise, they do not accept guns. Need to go to a UPS/ FedEx HUB.

Handguns- cannot be mailed in the US Mail except by Dealers and Manufacturers. They can be shipped by UPS or FedEx when going to a FFL. Both companies require that handguns be shipped Next Day Air. It is frequently cheaper to pay a Dealer to MAIL the handgun (flat rate priority mail box) FedEx and UPS Next Day Air, adult signature required, is usually about $70.

A Manufacturer CAN send you a shipping tag- you box unloaded gun, attach tag, call for pickup. Just did that with Remington.

okdonk 05-19-2012 08:16 AM

I sold my glock month ago and shipped via my ffl. Costed me $45 ($20 shipping & $25 transfer out fee). But i charged seller only the $20 on top of the selling price.
Yes some UPS staffs are hard to deal with. They think they know it all.

gollygee 05-19-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 807077)
In GENERAL-

Long guns may be mailed by US Mail, or shipped UPS or FedEx Ground or Air. If ownership is being transferred across a state line (other than by inheritance) it must go TO a FFL in the recipient's home state. Note that manufacturers ARE FFL holders, and that they CAN return a gun sent in for repair, or a replacement gun- directly to the person that sent it to them. UPS Stores are NOT UPS, private franchise, they do not accept guns. Need to go to a UPS/ FedEx HUB.

Handguns- cannot be mailed in the US Mail except by Dealers and Manufacturers. They can be shipped by UPS or FedEx when going to a FFL. Both companies require that handguns be shipped Next Day Air. It is frequently cheaper to pay a Dealer to MAIL the handgun (flat rate priority mail box) FedEx and UPS Next Day Air, adult signature required, is usually about $70.

A Manufacturer CAN send you a shipping tag- you box unloaded gun, attach tag, call for pickup. Just did that with Remington.

What surprised me was that I thought if it was via UPS or Fedex, they required it to go overnight regardless of who shipped or received. A warranty center arranged for Fedex to pick up at my home & it went ground. When they returned it to me, it was also via Fedex ground.

c3shooter 05-19-2012 10:51 PM

Golly- for us peons, Next day Air. But when you have a Remington or Ruger account that PAYS FedEx or UPS $72 Bazillion a year, it becomes "Good morning sir- how may we help you today?" The requirement for Next Day Air is not law, but a company policy. And IF you wave a large enough stack of $$$, somebody in that company will be VERY flexible.