Sharpie fix?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Sharpie fix?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Default Sharpie fix?

Anyone else use sharpie to color in nicks, dings, scrapes or scratches on their guns/parts?

They make an industrial strength sharpie that stands up to chemicals and extreme temperatures which I've found great for repair or touch up work on older guns. Just refinished the sights and grip screws on all my guns, looks great.

I used to use these on my watches in pvd finish. It blends in much better with bluing than pvd coating when doing touch up on scratches, almost unnoticeable.

Really nice to add a strong contrast back to old sights. A little model car paint for the dots and sharpie for the body, and voila...!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Blued guns I use a cold blue to fix wear or nick issues. Parked guns I don't do much of anything. I know a few that do the sharpie thing. Seems to look OK. I have a hard enough time keeping up with the pen I keep in the truck,

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #3

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

How does this cold blue work?

I like simple & quick, but efficient and that's why sharpie has fit the bill for me to this point.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #4

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Someone way back when showed me the value of the old school no.2 pencil.I've used it to help fill in small nick and to rub out the start of surface rust.That and a little motor oil.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
How does this cold blue work?

I like simple & quick, but efficient and that's why sharpie has fit the bill for me to this point.
clean and degrease the surface and apply. I do a few applications using steel wool in between. It's not sometihng I"d use on a whole gun but it works pretty good for touch up.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Go with a Birchwood / Casey Super Black touch-up pen -they are designed for this. http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Finishing/FinishingDetails.aspx?ProductID=59279d6c-0bd0-467e-9c92-9c6654bb60b0

Last edited by kirbinster; 05-09-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A few years back, I landed a job with Leupold. During the final inspection and packaging after assembly, if minor scratches or blemishes were found in the anodized tube or parts, out came the magic sharpie.Fortunately that wasn't necessary very often. If you should purchase a Leuopold, or any brand scope for that matter, give it a close look. If you find a sharpie fix, you may be able to talk the dealer into knocking off a few bucks, or at the least, exchange it for one without blemishes.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #8

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbinster View Post
Go with a Birchwood / Casey Super Black touch-up pen -they are designed for this. http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Finishing/FinishingDetails.aspx?ProductID=59279d6c-0bd0-467e-9c92-9c6654bb60b0
There's also a Blue pen they make...

Presto Gun Blue Pen, 13201 PSP. Mine was $9.99+

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/ProductSearchResults/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=89677702-b5ea-4c4b-a363-f412c6638a29

I have used marker on a pocket knife nut and on scratches in aluminum receiver. A friend used black nail polish.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-11-2013 at 01:28 AM.