sending a handgun via mail.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > sending a handgun via mail.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6194 Times on 3262 Posts
Likes Given: 448

Default sending a handgun via mail.

ok i just called colt to send my python in for service as it has devoloped a little wiggle in the cylinder when the hammer is cocked. the nice lady on the other end said i can send it to them without an ffl for service and they will send it back. i thought you had to send a firearm ffl to ffl?? she said i have to use fedex or ups.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3149 Times on 1814 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

I would send it through an FFL anyways. Reasons: Some state statutes, and additional tracking.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3017 Times on 1572 Posts
Likes Given: 289

UPS or FED EX...NOT USPS.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I would send it through an FFL anyways. Reasons: Some state statutes, and additional tracking.
thats what im gonna do i was wondering if she was right or not. she said new york was the only state where i couldnt send back to the manufacturer directly for service.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #5

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
thats what im gonna do i was wondering if she was right or not. she said new york was the only state where i couldnt send back to the manufacturer directly for service.
I believe, barring local laws, only a transfer between individuals, in different states, requires an FFL receive the gun and process the 4473. A gun going in for work can go door-to-door. USPS restricts gun shipment to "licensed persons," however, so it may be worth the extra aggrevation to have your FFL ship it for you.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9757 Times on 4198 Posts
Likes Given: 1537

There are two different matters here- SHIPPING a handgun, and MAILING a handgun.

In general, when the TRANSFER of ownership of a firearm is taking place, and it crosses a state line, it must be shipped TO a FFL. This is governed by 18 US Code, section 922. Giving your Dad in the next state a gun, or selling one to me? Ship it to a FFL in the receiver's home state. Sending a gun to the mfgr for repair? They ARE a FFL holder (manufacturer) and no transfer of ownership takes place- they are fixing, and returning to the same person. Going hunting in Montana? You can mail your rifle to yourself, in care of the hunting lodge. The executor of an estate CAN ship a firearm to a person in another state when it is bequeathed to them.

Second issue is use of the US mail- governed by the Domestic Mail Manual. Rifles and shotguns (unloaded) CAN be sent by the US Mail- by unlicensed persons. However, HANDGUNS may not be mailed except by a licensed DEALER or MANUFACTURER in the normal course of business shipments. YOU cannot mail a handgun unless YOU are a dealer or manufacturer. I am a FFL- an 03- Collector of Curio & Relic firearms, and I cannot mail handguns- not a dealer.

That leaves UPS or FedEx. THEY will ship it for you, but due to theft from shipments, require that all handguns be shipped NEXT DAY AIR. Law says you must notify them shipment is a firearm. That will run you about $70. However, a dealer can mail it for you, using US Priority Mail flat rate box. And it is sometimes cheaper to have them ship it for you. For a warranty repair, a manufacturer will sometimes send you a UPS shipping label- package the unloaded gun (nothing visible on package that says gun), attach label, and call for pickup.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 12-16-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

c3, you need to change your signature. Because that was definitely NOT a failure to communicate.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 12-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

thanks c3 that was a good explanation. im gonna check price for my shipping. my local ffl guy is the true value store they only charge me 15$